What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 pdr breach and barrel

ken68

picture of the rifled barrel 25 pdr edinburgh castle

Attachments

• Edinburgh castle o4,05 003.jpg
    Edinburgh castle o4,05 003.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 4
  • Edinburgh castle o4,05 004.jpg
    Edinburgh castle o4,05 004.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
A few photos of 25 Pdrs at Firepower, Woolwich.

The gun with the ammo display is the last one used in combat by the British Army, at Mirbat, Aden and single-handedly manned by Fijian SAS Sgt Talaiasi Labalaba, before he was killed. The drawing by the gun is of Labalaba.

The last image is of one of the few Ordnance QF 25 Pdr Mark I, more commonly known as the 18/25 Pdr.

Tom.

Attachments

• 25 Pdr Woolwich_4.jpg
    25 Pdr Woolwich_4.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 25 Pdr Woolwich_3.jpg
    25 Pdr Woolwich_3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 25 Pdr Woolwich_2.jpg
    25 Pdr Woolwich_2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 32
  • 25 Pdr Woolwich_1.jpg
    25 Pdr Woolwich_1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 25 Pdr Limber Woolwich.jpg
    25 Pdr Limber Woolwich.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 32
  • 18-25 Pdr Woolwich.jpg
    18-25 Pdr Woolwich.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 36
thanks for posting the pictures of the 25 pdr's there great i love these guns would'nt mind one in my back garden , we have one close to us at dunbar , my freinds dad manned them at dunbar during WW2 sits looking out to the north sea now .i took this last summer . its starting to look weathered again needs some tlc .

We have two at work. Can't get pics though I'm afraid. They were used as gate guards until recently and in a pretty sorry state.

Hopefully someone will restore them , hate seeing these kind of things ending up scrapped
We have two at work. Can't get pics though I'm afraid. They were used as gate guards until recently and in a pretty sorry state.

I have posted a few pictures of my 25 pdr (or one of them anyway ) it is a live piece and kept on my section one FA license .It is complete with all of its tools,sight,covers and since being a member on here I have picked up quite a bit of Ordnance.I also have a couple of No 27 Ammunition limbers in my collection which are now harder to find than the guns.

Rob........................rnixartillery.DSCF6972.jpgDSCF6973.jpgDSCF6976.jpgDSCF6978.jpg

Very nice rob , thanks for sharing your treasure ...its stuning its also in the right hands mate well kept and maintained . this one won't end up scrap , if i win the lottery can you deactivate one and sell one to me lol

thanks ken

Prematures in 25 Pdr

I just happen (as of yesterday) to have loan of a report on prematures in 25 Pounders in Malaya in 1955. Herewith a photograph of one of the four guns that were damaged.

25Pr Prem 1955.jpg

Thats been nasty,,were the prematures over a period of time or during one fire mission.

Quite. The four incidents were spread over a year and the last one (last straw) motivated an investigation by the Inspector of Armaments. There were two soldiers killed and quite a few injured across the four accidents. You can imagine the list of likely causes and the invegigation work that went on to determine the problem. Of particular interest to me is the fact that in removing fuzes for testing from HE projectiles in the ammunition depot two projectiles were found to be unfilled!