What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 pdr ID required

JamieR

I have inherited 2 25 pdr shells from WW2 from my Uncle. Unfortunately, he has passed away, so cannot answer my questions.
The shells I have are black in colour. They have a No221 fuse, with a red tip. At the base of the shell, there is a red band painted around.
I can make out some of the printing on the side which is as follows:
AG
(a cirle shape with an up arrow in it)
..not sure..
LD
CPC
3-42

Unfortunately, the second shell is still at my parents, so I can't confirm the symbols. No pics at this point, but I will try to get some soon.

I'd like to identify if these are practice rounds or not. I have two kids, if they are dangerous, I will have to have them disposed of. Not an easy process here in Canada, last person i heard having to do this done had the neighborhood evacuated by fire, police and bomb squad, something I want to avoid...
Thanks!!!!!

Jamie

My apologies, but looks like I need to refine my camera work. Here is the shell I am referring to.
25pdr_3.jpg

Last shot is too big, but out of focus anyways...
Here's a 2 inch mortar shell i have, apparently it's a flare...
2inch-e6194eac7ae7ede5749b76650f2a6278.jpg

Jamie this may sound a stupid question but have you had a look at the base of the shell,basically is there a big hole there ..its what we call a carrier,carrys various fillings most commonly smoke but can include flares and even propoganda leaflets,The driving bands are scored indicating the round has been fired,the windows in the fuze appear to have dirt in them again indicating that the have burnt out and that the fuze has been fired,but just because a round has been fired it does NOT guarantee it is expended.On the bottom of yours you can just see what appears to be a small hole about 1cm up the body from the base this is where a shear pin goes that holds the ejecting base plate in position ,on an expended round this base plate will have been blown off,ive no reference pictures with the colour hazard markings in the positions as on yours,a red band usually indicates the shell has been filled and is generally found in the upper half of the body ,
yes your correct with the 2 inch parachute ilumination

25_197-d3bae133d609af66fcc377975bb52cfd.jpg

Here is a shot of the base. I left it out as it's not that clear, but as you can see, no hole.
Note that the bottom hole has what looks like a flat head screw set in it. Possibly modified to look more authentic? If i put my ear to it and gently turn it over, i can hear rattling inside, as if there is a small pebble or some dirt (note that it sounds very small) in it or something. Definitely not being obstructed as it rolls back and forth. Not sure if that helps...
Any recommendations what my next step is?
Thanks!
Jamie

cheers for extra images jamie :(
can you do one more thing can you weigh it in Lbs and Ozs
at the moment going by what you have shown us i wouldnt be happy having this,it may be a replacement base but this again cannot be guaranteed without actually physically inspecting the round

I updated my old post, but will add the info here as well.

The bottom hole that you refer to has what looks like a flat head screw set in it. Possibly modified to look more authentic, or is this what a shear pin looks like? If i put my ear to it and gently turn it over, i can hear rattling inside, as if there is a small pebble or some dirt in there (note that it sounds very small). Definitely not being obstructed as it rolls back and forth. Not sure if that helps...

The best scale I have for something this big is my bathroom scale, and it says it's about 15.5 lbs. Not accurate enough to get ounces, sorry...

Thanks!
Jamie

I just talked to my neighbour (she and her husband are both active military). She looked nervous at what i told her and will talk to her connections on Monday. In the meantime, it is well stored away from the kids...

Jamie have a look at this table on the Smoke B.E rounds have a look at the empty weight and the filled weights :) it does look promising
Please note that i accept no responsibility for the accuracy of this document

187.jpg

The document is definitely promising, but I'm still not tinkering with the thing myself.

Oddly, if I scrape at the black paint, I do see a green paint underneath. Not sure if repainting was common or not.

Thanks! I'll see what my neighbour can do, and will update with what i find out.

BTW, how do you know so much about this stuff? Is this a hobby, or work related for you? Just curious.

Jamie

your doing the right thing jamie if you have even the slightest doubt its worth getting it checked professionaly,,let us know the results wether good or bad

the attached picture shows typical smoke round colour schemes from 1942-45

018.jpg

I think you found it. I carefully scrapped some of the black paint off the side of the shell (very carefully). The shell is green underneath, with the top red band, and I can make out a solid middle white band. From your chart, that would indicate a Phosphorous smoke bursting shell. Empty, based on the weight chart, so everything adds up, except why it was repainted in such colours. I will still have my neighbours connections take a look (and hopefully not have it confiscated).
Thanks!!!

Well I finally got the answer I wanted, I just didn't ask my father the right questions.
My uncle was an artillery man, and cleaned these rounds himself. Apparently he was a bit of a stickler for details, and guaranteed that these were rendered safe when they were handed over. He repainted them himself, probably to make sure they weren't mistaken for live rounds and used a made up paint scheme to further indicate that they were not live. So there we have it. Thanks for all your help!
I will collect the rest of the shells next week and post pics afterwards. Note that I still do not plan on disassembling these things, knowing they are inert is one thing, but I'm still not brave enough knowing what they "could" be capable of....

Jamie