What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 Pdr Info Projectile info Required

Tranter

I'm currently restoring a couple of dug up shells and need some info relating to them. Firstly, I'd like positive identification as to what the shell currently painted deep Brunswick green is. I've researched it and asked several people and was assured it was a star shell. It has a smaller base ejection access than the smoke (currently red oxide primed). Could it have been an illuminating shell? I also need assistance relating to the colour of both shells and also the markings and stencilling that should be on both of them. I've looked on the web and there seems to be many contradictions on this subject! If anyone can find the time to assist me with my questions it would be greatly appreciated. I am actually an ex gunner and worked on 25 Pdrs in the sixties, but I can't bring to mind the colours and markings after all this time (possibly going senile!!). I've included a couple of pics of the work in progress. Many Thanks.

image.jpg image.jpg .image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 50
Hi Tranter
I suspect that the contradictions that you mention are related to the fact that Britain changed its colour codes. I believe that Brunswick green would be correct for a wartime BE shell with a red filling ring below the fuse.
This is a restored example from my collection.
25 pounder smoke.JPG

fred

Last edited:
Thanks Fred, any ideas about the fact that the unfinished smoke in primer has a different size base eject hole to the boat tailed one I've currently got as Brunswick green? the Base is too narrow for the smoke pots to be fitted in the Boat tailed shell, so that's why I suspect it's either starshell or illum. If it is in fact an illum shell I think it should have been painted white, however, if it's a star shell I've seen images of them in black or Deep Brunswick green. It's all a bit confusing, particularly like you said, the colours changed!

For some reason I can't post a picture, but the boat tailed 25pdr in your picture is a Mk VIII projectile.

The only base ejection examples of the Mk VIII I've seen contained a chemical fill. Do you have the base plate itself?

Cheers

Pete

It should be light Brunswick green, same as the two inch smoke and WP rounds in a matt finish. There was a post of a fired dug up 25 pounder example that was in mint condition, even had the powder marks on the round, cant seem to find the post, anyone know who posted it.

Hi Pete, thanks for the info, very useful! Unfortunately I haven't go the base plate (but can't have everything I suppose!

Thanks very much to you all for all the info you've provided me with - it's very much appreciated and should answer all the issues I had, Cheers, Steve