What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25-Pdr "Proof of Fuze"

ydnum303

Hi all,
I have a 25-Pdr HE shell body made in 1955, that at the end of 1958 was converted to Proof of Fuze.

As I would like to restore this correctly, can anyone please tell me what body colour it should have, and what stencils and other markings should be on it?

Anyone have such a one in their collection that they could show, please?

The maker's mark on the base is NCF-G; anyone know who this is and where they were based?

Thanks in advance ,

Roger.

Yes, I have a similar 25 Pr HE shell converted to PoF with original paint. I will get some photos when I can, but basically a black painted shell with a 9/16” red ring placed 1” from the top. Most stencilling in red.
Graeme

My shell is Australian, but as we copied everything from the UK, I would be fairly certain the colours and markings would be the same. My shell was an HE made in 1945 and converted to an HES PofF shell in 1961. As stated, it's painted black with a 9/16" wide red filling ring placed 1" down from the shell top. On one side it's stencil marked:

323 with broad arrow below (Filled Lot 323) in 3/8" white lettering
25 PR II D (25 Pr Mk II D shell) in 3/8" red letters/numbers
P OF F 221B (Proof of Fuze No. 221B) in 3/4" & 1/2" ("OF") red letters/numbers

On the other side of the shell the stencils are:
22 1/2 LB in 1/2" red letters/numbers

There are no filling factory stencils visible, but more than likely had a filling factory letter code and a date (MM/YY)

The base of the shell is stamped:

Firstly what's been barred out - WAGR (maker Western Australia Government Railways), 1D (HE shell Mk 1D), 3/45 (original manuf. date)

Then what's not barred out - M.O (Maribrynong Ordnance factory - conversion factory), 25 PR Mk 2 (Mk 2 HES/P of F shell), P of F (Proof of Fuze), 1-61 (Jan 1961 conversion date), C89 (unknown)

The shell has also been stamped HES (HE Substitute)

Hope this helps.

Graeme

IMG_8162.jpgIMG_8163.jpgIMG_8163a.PNGIMG_8164.jpgIMG_8165.jpgIMG_8166.jpgIMG_8167.jpgIMG_8168.jpgIMG_8169.jpg

Snufkin and Graeme, many thanks for the info you have given me, and especially for the photos.

I have a P.of P. shell in a different calibre, where the stencilling is all in white, so the only question is whether the red stencilling is because it is P of F instead of P of P, or whether the Australians use red instead of white.

Roger.

If I can remember back far enough, projectiles used in fuze proofing were either totally live (fuzes and filling proof then), or were 'inert' variants. The latter often had a spotting explosive charge below the output of the fuze, presumably positioned where the exploder (supplementary charge) was normally situated. The latter would produce an intense bright white flash, which made the fuze's function far easier to observe using the Mk. I eyeball or photographic equipment.