What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 pr case head stamps

pegasus-drive

Hello all. 1st thread !
Does anyone have or know where there is a list of makers head stamps for the 25pr cases. I have a number of cases and would be interested to know thier origins.
The list that I have so far :-
RM/L
RLB
CL/L
DB/C
ECC
EWB
MC
F&L

I also have a paticular interest in walker brothers of wigan. Maybe the EWB ? if not what would thier headstamp be.
Cheers
Frank

Frank,

RM/C - Robert Mitchell Ltd, Canada.
RLB - Royal Ordnance Factory, Birtley, Durham.
CL/C - Canadian Motor Lamp Co. Canada.
DB/C - Dominion Bridge Co. Canada.
ECC - Edward Curran Co., Ltd. Cardiff.
EWB - E.W. Bliss Ltd. Derby.
MC - ? Do you have a photo' of this case you could post?
F & L - Fisher & Ludlow Ltd., Birmingham.

The monogram for Walker Bros., Wigan was WBW.

TimG

Well done Tim, I thought I would leave it to you to answer as I was not sure of a couple of them.

Cheers
TonyE

Hi Tim
Thats fantastic, many thanks. Is there a list anywhere ? or have you just spent years working them out.
A photo of the MC case25pr shell case MC.jpg Is this an unusual one ? I would guess that most makers made them by the millions.
Thanks to Tony for chipping in.
Cheers
Frank

I always understood that MC on 25 pr cases was for Finsbury in South Australia. When I was in Aust I saw quite a lot of them, along with the usual MF for Footscray.

Many thanks guys. I will have alook to see if I have any more different makers. I would be interested if anyone has a WBW shell case spare that they may part with.
Cheers
Frank