What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25lb casing

dave foot

My daughter recently bought me this casing for Father's Day. I am guessing it is Australian manufacture. Can anyone give me any details about it. Thank youP9040002.jpgP9040003.jpg

Hi Dave Foot, Welcome to BOCN. Love the markings on the side of the cart, whatever you do don't polish it....
Cheers
Gary

G-Day Dave,
Yes, it is Australian made, MC is Munitions Cheltenham (Finsbury annexe) Adelaide South Australia, made in 1945. The stencilling on the side is very important in respect to the collect ability of the cart. This cartridge was filled @ MS, Munitions Salisbury (also a suburb of Adelaide) which was an explosives filling factory. Filled in September 1945. It used foil (lead), as a de-coppering agent, so the barrel did not foul after prolonged fire.
You have a very thoughtful daughter (better than buying socks & jocks for fathers day)! LOL.
The cart. case was used in the 25 pounder field gun, most widely used artillery piece by the Brits, Australian & NZ military in WWII.
Cheers, Ozzi.

Last edited:
In addition to Ozziammo’s comments

The No 11 Mk III primer was manufactured by the 'MFT' - Primer factory Tamworth, New South Wales in June 1943.

It was filled by 'MS' - Explosives Factory, Salisbury, South Australia in August 1945.

The case was filled to 'Normal, Mark VI, foil' in September 1945.
With WM (stick cordite) .017 (0.017” diameter)and .061 (0.061” diameter. Both were manufactured at 'MS' - Explosives Factory, Salisbury, South Australia

The total weight of propellant was 1 lb, 11 oz, 4 dr.

This would have consisted of three bags - red white and blue

The red bag contained 6 oz. 5 dr. of WM.017. Cut approx 8.0” long. This bag surrounded the primer.

Next was the white bag which contained 7 oz. 12 dr. Of WM.061. Cut about 7¼” long.

Finally there was the blue bag which contained 13 oz. 3 dr. Of WM.061. Cut about 7¼” long, along with a piece of lead or tinfoil sheet 7.0 x 2½” x 0.002” thick.

TimG

It was only this week I got my AU made 25-pounder case (MC, 1943). Mine also has this star symbol. What is the meaning of this symbol?

25pdr ammo-2.jpgExcellent additional info Tim, thanks for completing the picture.
Yeah, don't ever remove the ink stencilling from either the side or base of cart cases.
Regards Ozzi.

Last edited: