What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25mm Italian projectile query

charley777

Greetings....I would like to know if the 25x87 Marzoli AP projectiles just had a tracer or if any were APHE ?? Have been unable to attach photo of the particular example that is in question. I shall do so in 2 days. Any information on these rounds would be welcome. And are there any manuals for Italian ammo? Thanks

Italian ammo

For WW1 ammo:Munizioni D'Artiglieria Italiana 1915-1918 Vol 1 and 2, by Bruno Marcuzzo ISBN 88-88394-00-3 and 88-88394-00-4.If the round you are reffering to is also called the Revelli-Fiat, there appears to be a few projectiles shared with the Vickers 1" from which it was developed. The is a HE round among them. I have an example which I call my Ferrari shell as it's sensitive fuze is so finely machinned.If you want to sell your examplw or trade, I would be interested. Highlandotter

italian ammo

I should add that the books are in Italian, but have great drawings and data which can be readily interpreted!!! Slow thinking highlandotter

Hello

perhaps some infos here ?

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/

The GUN :
MG-1-493-8.jpg

ciao
as I know italian 25mm vickers, fiat or 25/41 had specific tracer shell.
none AP was tracer.
in the pic:
25mm fiat , vickers, nordendfeldt

25mm shells fiat vickers was the same using different case
HE with special sensible fuze
APHE
training shell
concussion shell could it be tracer or incendiary.

25mm HE the 2 model issued

25mm canister

25mm CF = carica fumogena = smoke. smoke means tracer
this shell could be found with CI marking = carica incendiaria = incendiary

http://forum.worldwar.it/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=11364&start=0
sorry in italian, but if you have any question we write in english.

best regards

Attachments

• 25mm FVN.jpg
    25mm FVN.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 25mm palle.jpg
    25mm palle.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 2009 09 13_1331.jpg
    2009 09 13_1331.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 66
  • P1010271.jpg
    P1010271.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 58
  • fumogena CF.jpg
    fumogena CF.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 4 munizioni.jpg
    4 munizioni.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 68
  • he rid.jpg
    he rid.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 57
Photos for the 25mm AP round

Hello again. Thank you all who have replied to this thread. Here are the photos. Is that a tracer or not? Left- or right-hand thread ?

Attachments

• 25x87 a.jpg
    25x87 a.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 25x87 b.jpg
    25x87 b.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 34
Tracer?

Your projectile does not look like it has a tracer to me. Normally tracer shells are sealed with some sort of combustible disc that can be cardboard covered with lacquer, or a tin or brass disc. Whatever is used to close off the tracer shell must be consumed by the burning propellant gases so that the propellant gases can ignite the initiating composition, which in turn ignites the tracer composition.

I have attached two photos, one shows four small tracers (brass colored) in a 105mm Howitzer Squash Head Practice. The tracers are secured in the projectile by punch stabbing. The second photo is a 105mm Tank APFSDS-T with a single screw fit tracer. The tracer element is in the center portion under the brass colored disc. The two holes are for the wrench to screw the tracer into the projectile.

From your photo, it would appear that it is solid steel with two holes, so it would appear to be a plug or base fuze of some sort.

The tracers in the photos are live, and were dealt with appropriately after the photos were taken.

Attachments

• Cart 105mm How SH Prac T.jpg
    Cart 105mm How SH Prac T.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Cart 105mm TK APFSDS-T.jpg
    Cart 105mm TK APFSDS-T.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 20
Hello again. Thank you all who have replied to this thread. Here are the photos. Is that a tracer or not? Left- or right-hand thread ?

it's a training shell, not filled and not fuzed. only a base plug.
right hand to unscrew.
best regards

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 17
Thanks very much

Thank you all who replied. I am very happy with the information received. Sorry Highlandotter but i will be keeping this one (at least for now )