What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25mm Shell with Two Driving Bands

Spitace41

Hi all. I recently purchased this small shell but I am having trouble identifying it, so perhaps someone on here could shed some light? The lower driving band reminds me of that on French 37mm I have. This shell came with a WW1 Italian 37mm shell but I have no idea if they are related in origin. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMAG0754.jpg
    IMAG0754.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG0755.jpg
    IMAG0755.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0756.jpg
    IMAG0756.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG0757.jpg
    IMAG0757.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 128
Is that upper "band" of the correct diameter to be a rotating band? Or is it only a bourrelet? If it's a rotating band wouldn't it be difficult to seat the cartridge in the chamber?

Just asking.

Ray

By the age, it could be a one inch Gatling gun projectile, although it is longer than the Gatling projectiles I've seen in the past.

Hi,I have seen one the same, but solid and was told, If I remember correctly it was for the 1" Nordenfeld.Tig

The rotating band isn't the normal Nordenfelt design.

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses guys. I have tried googling 1" Gatling and Nordenfeld shells but I have not found another one like this as yet, although courtesy of Tig at least I know there is another out there. Cheers.

Hello,
this shell was used on italian 25/41 for aircraft and anti aircraft gun, a midified 25mm nordenfeld. Here 2 shell used on the gun, an HE and incendiary tracer shell
25-41 fuze.jpg30 nov 2011_4787rid.jpgDSC01912rid.jpgDSC01914rid.jpg

unfortunely no drawing about complete round. only a manuals with brief description of the shells. So it's not known if the shell was inserted inside the case as pics above (25x94R nordenfeld) or as this old drawing(28x87R vickers)
25-41.jpg
case it's for the 25mm Vickers

here a good topic about italian 25mm WW1 ammo on italian group of ECRA
http://www.cesimmunizioni.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=11364

best regards

That is excellent information Fert, many thanks. So not a great deal is known about these rounds? Do you have any idea if cases are easily obtained as I would love to complete this shell for display. Cheers.

You are welcome.
cases are hard to find here in Italy too. vickers case, very hard, nordenfeld case not so common. I'm sorry.
best regards

Hello Fert,

Do you have a diagram of the 25mm Incendiary ?
Very interesting shell but no information about operation.

Regards

Hello Minen,
unfortunely no diagram.

the shell was used against airship or to set night firing. At firing the fuze ignites incendiary composition that burn and makes visible the rajectory.
Source: Breve monografia sui cannoni da 25/41 su affusto per aerei e anti aereo. Roma 1916