What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25pdr chemical

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a 25pdr base eject chemical round ive just done up for the works collection..it looks more darker and grimier in reality than it does in the photos

Attachments

• P1010440.jpg
    P1010440.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 138
  • P1010583.jpg
    P1010583.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 172
  • P1010584.jpg
    P1010584.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 123
  • P1010439.jpg
    P1010439.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 114
Hi Allan ,nice work ,were these filled with Mustard or other nasties?
thanks for the compliments guys,,sorry dave but i cant comment on what was in this one.
but it has been repainted as mustard

nice restore allan is that a new fuze nose or did you repair the old one

regards lee

SHHHHHH leeski stop spoiling it..
its a replacement
It should be a no221 but the cone on the original was too far gone to try and build up, but all i could get hold of was a no390 off a 3in mortar last week

Attachments

• P1010523.jpg
    P1010523.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 40
Dave,

Knowing the history of this item it was either filled with mustard or Bromobenzyl cyanide.

Pete

Hi Pete thanks for the information ,its very difficult to find details on British WW2 chemical weapons and even WW1 weapons arent covered very well[The most useful book ive found so far is a Osprey title World War 1 Gas Warfare Tactics and Equipment , ISBN 9781846031519]

thanks for the compliments guys,,sorry dave but i cant comment on what was in this one.
but it has been repainted as mustard

I prefer french as its not as harsh as English and the American is too much for McDonalds. Mind you I'd prefer tomato ketchup....

DWS Notes on ammunition Issue No 7A, printed April 1943 gives some information on ammunition types and their fillings but generally only referring to the fillings by code letters and numbers, eg Y3. Some information gives fillings as `blister' but most do not. The document is more concerned with safety, inspection, repair and disposal of stocks in storage. It brings home the point that light cased chemical warfare (CW) ammunition was prone to internal pressure build-up and could therefore present as much a hazard to the storer and user as to an enemy. Also that chemical degradation in light and heavy cased ammo would over time render fillings less effective. That did not prevent a colleague being burned by mustard gas from a WW1 18 Pr shell he attempted to destroy in a Kent quarry in the 1980s. When I joined in 1978 there was still an ammo & explosives regs (A&ER) pamphlet that detailed venting of Y3 stocks. During my service that was detailed as obsolete and I believe the Y3, presumably blister agent, was destroyed. XT

We received instruction on venting the Bottles, steel, 1 litre and stirring the contents (Mustard Y3) with an approved wooden spatula. I never saw the items for real and I believe that all our stocks were destroyed at Porton Down in the late 70's.

AmmotechXT - Regarding the breakdown of CW agent, we opened a number of 4.2" mortars filled with mustard a few years ago and the mustard was in excess of 80% intact. I.e hardly any degredation at all.

Here's some pictures of the Y3 containers mentioned earlier in this thread.
All the UK's old chemical weapons were destroyed by 2007, but that doesn't take into account the items that are found/recovered every week around the UK. These are destroyed as and when they're found.

009.jpg - Y3 Container inside the A4 box, the container contained 1 litre of mustard.

010.jpg - Y3 Container removed from the box, the opening and pouring tools are visible in the lid of the box. The container was surrounded by charcoal to absorb any spills

Mustard Box 01.jpg - View into the box showing the Y3 container surrounded by charcoal.

Enjoy

That's a tough question, the UK stopped their offensive CW program in 1956. As to when they stopped production of mustard i don't know. They can still produce mustard in limited quantites for purposes not prohibited under the chemical weapons convention should they wish to.

Peter,

Interesting, that container is marked Lot 15 11/59

Regards

TimG