What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25pdrs ,where are you????

christhurston

Premium Member
Contemplating my numerous large cartridge cases gathering dust in the corner,I started wondering what I might do to increase their display potential.I have two rather nice WW2 25pdr cases and although I realise
that we're talking separate loading ammunition here,I'm thinking that a couple of projectiles might sit happily in these cases for display purposes.
Admittedly,I've only been looking seriously for such things since joining this
community,but I never seem to see any,either,25pdr HE,or,I believe,the
somewhat lighter AP Shot.I'm probably unable to look in the right places,
but I see all manner of German 88mm,etc,etc,but no 25pdr stuff,why not??

Hi chris,,thats something you will find with collecting brit projectiles theyre difficult to find over here in the uk,the most easy to find here in the 25lb projectiles are the base eject smoke rounds.The last time i saw a good amount of 25lb HE for sale was at a fair in holland and they were cheap about 30 or 40 euros,unfortunately i was travelling by plane so couldnt get one,do you know anyone whos gone to beltring there may be some there..

Many thanks,Spotter,I had a funny feeling that there was a good reason I didn't see 25pdrs anywhere.Although they are separate loading,I'm assuming that the projectiles will sit in the top of the cases okay,just by way of display pieces either side of the hearth.Seeing as how I might be lucky to even get one,I guess it'll be wishful thinking to imagine a matching
pair one of these days!!!!

Hi Chris as Spotter says the British projectiles are hard to find ,but with a bit of luck and time they are out there ,Beltring is usually a good bet as well as Stoneleigh in the winter and the auction sites .In the past ive picked up AP and HE 25 pounders and a wax filled 5.5" from a member on the forum .It always pays to ask even if they dont have what you want now they sometimes remember you when bits turn up Dave

Hello Dave,you're so right,things are moving behind the scenes,and I may
well have my 25pdrs before I know it.Auction wise,I've found SA to be a great source,although I've not seen any 25pdrs as yet.The way things are
moving,the chaps here in BOCN will have soon sorted me out!!!!

Hi I saw a few at Beltring yesterday. If you head for the end of the market where Ben Junior/Steve McGregor/John Rocks are set up you'll find a few - there's a fired ap shot on Steves stall.

Dave.

It's a bit too far away for me these days,but there's several guys down there that I get stuff from.If they happen to find out I'm looking for 25pdrs
I might wind up with more than I bargained for!!!!