What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

260 / 220 lbs frag bomb ID

phonque

Ordnance approved
hi there ammo maties,

Can any one give me evidence or conclusive proof how to make sure (from looking or measuring it) you are dealing with an 260 or 220 lbs frag bomb (GB)?
books talk about the spring around the bdy but i can not find it.

thanx

The US 220 and 260lb fragmentation bombs do not have a solid body, they are made from a steel coil. The two appear nearly identical, but the coil on the AN-M88 220lb bomb is .75-inch across while the coil on the AN-M81 260lb bomb is 1-inch across. I don't have either, but have included a photo of my 90lb bomb, is is made with the same construction and general appearance.

DSCN2484.jpg Untitled-1.jpg

Why don't you ask that question at your unit?. Or don't thrust your colleagues at the documentation center.

because nobody at the centre mentioned above seems to be able to provide an answer that matches the answer given by the next, very wel trusted, colleague.
so then you go out and try to find more answers until you are satisfied or give up..... right? :)

@ us subs:
indeed that is what i have found in my documentation, but some well liked and trusted colleagues seem to have a different opinion, so i started to wonder.

now i have actually seen the diffenrence i have to say that indeed you can measure the difference, i started to doubt when the documentation provided already mixed up the numberings (M88 / M81) but i am satisfied now, thanks for replying us-subs, and for the awkward part; better to check and be sure than to mix up, right?

have a holiday (S)

Correct me when I’m wrong, because it can be a gap in my capability of reading English.
You don’t trust your colleagues and you have doubt about your unit’s doc-center.
You find well liked and trusted colleagues with a different opinion and you start to wonder.
You must be a hell of a colleague and extremely good at your job.

Last edited:
Oups, working on our documentation center, I may say that I have never enough info !!!
We have more and more books about ammunitions but I try always to find a book more, that we not have.
I known also, by experience, that it is sometimes difficult to obtain the correct answer on our question. Time, mood, authority, afraid of reaction on the question,...
Don't be angry, it's human !

Happy christmas and peace to people of good will !

Yoda

since when is making sure in our profession a problem? and me asking for answers would probably only amount to showing that i do not know every thing, it does not say anything at all about me being a good colleague and i guess should only be supported in general.
The only thing said was that their was a discrepancy between the answers provided by several well like colleagues and since i did not wanted to doubt either one of them i tried to find out more via this medium. guess i won't any more....

Last edited:
ps, the 'documentation' provided ment the so called green books! not the centre ...