What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

27mmX145 Box

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, i picked this box up the other day it contained 45X27X145mm rounds can anybody tell me what DM stands for,it usualy refers to Germany i would have thought and each round has RG in the head stamp,so does this mean that they were made by Radway Green?
Andy

Attachments

• P1030008.jpg
    P1030008.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 34
  • P1030007.jpg
    P1030007.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 43
  • P1030009.jpg
    P1030009.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 35
  • P1020951.JPG
    P1020951.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
DM stands for Deutsche Modelle, DM 1001 stands for the steel cartridge case.
This projectile is used in the Tornado and Alpha-jet planes.

Chris

Thanks Chris for confirming that but the head stamp has RG in it do you know what that stands for.
Andy

Andy,

What I have on information in my documentation is that RG stands for:

Royal Ordnance Factory Radway Green, Cheshire just as you say.

Chris

Ok many thanks Chris so i take it the Germans have made them for us then.
Andy

Last edited:
RG Made items (probably)

The cases are made by Radway Green as previously stated and to that end it is fairly certain that the projectiles will also have been made by the same factory-although that cannot be presumed as a lot of items are "jointly" made by NATO manufacturers and may have been assembled here or even elsewhere.
Have a close look at the projectiles and somewhere there will be a few stamps from the maker along with a date and lot number.
Nice items by the way.
During the early days of 27mm Mauser production these rounds were prone to self ignition during storage:eek:

And until the problem was sorted out vast quantities were disposed of.

The boxes stack nicely together but the clasps are a real pain. Remember the till in Open All Hours with Ronnie Barker? 4 times as bad.

What is the significance of the blue corners?

Yes i now i have plasters on two fingers on both hands do to the clasps they are evil things, and why they had to make them like that god knows.
Andy

The boxes stack nicely together but the clasps are a real pain. Remember the till in Open All Hours with Ronnie Barker? 4 times as bad.

What is the significance of the blue corners?

I'm guessing here - could the blue corner be for practice? Presumably the HE ones would have yellow corners?
Just a thought.
Dave.

Radway Green manufactured

Youre rounds are completely Radway Green manufactured as per the stampings.

The 27G is for the 27mm Mauser gun they get fired in and the DM has already been stated and the Lot number is just that.

I also think SG500 is spot on with the tabs denoting the fill of the box so they can be shipped out quickly with the certainty of which type you have at a glance.
Nice items.

Hello,
the DM 28 on the projectile also is the German designation for the practice load for the complete round - the DM 1315 is the projectile itself.
On the loadings from German designation all the DM numbers that end with an "8" will be practice.
Erik