What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

280mm ATOMIC Gun (year 1953)

Folks,
Does anyone know if they made a practice version for the 280mm Projectile? If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
XB

Yes they did. If I remember right, it weighed 780 pounds and had a spotting charge. Details , after 60 years, are not there! When fired at Ft. Sill, took up all the range space they had.

The HE projectile was only published in one copy of the Artillery ammo manual, and all they show is the HE version. They don't show a blue practice version of the HE. The HE version was the spotter for the Nuke. Are you asking about a Nuke Trainer? They would have had practice versions of those but classified and hard to find photos of.

Watched the new Mad Max film last night and the shot of the trees bending in the blast is used in the opening of the film.

Yes the training version. I think I came across one on my jobsite. Nomenclature says T123 (I cannot find that anywhere) - The Nuke version, as far as my research can tell, was the T124/W9. Thanks for the help.

There are a number of books that give much of the data on many of the early WR rounds and their practice variants. If not there try the website for the National Museum of Nuclear Science in Albuquerque. Many of the photos with nomen used to be posted online.