What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2in Mortar round

ramc181

Was given this fired and empty 2in mortar smoke round by one of the dealers at Beltring:

2infull.jpg

2intail.jpg

2inhead.jpg

Interestingly, the body appears to be black rather than green, even under the remmnants of the red band. No trace of the stencilling remains, nor are there any visible stampings on the body.

So, do I repaint it, or just keep it wiped over with oil to hold back the surface rust?

All the best,
Paul

just my 2 cents.... not that they are uncommon and its in not bad shape... I would redo it and make it back to original... at least preserving it from further deterioration.

Goingby the remaining paint This looks like a PRACTICE 2in smoke round ,Not as common as the regular smoke rounds,i would refinish as a practice one

Attachments

• 2in-21.jpg
    2in-21.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Not seen one of those before, looks like it must have functioned, hence the slightly melted tail ? Tony.

Yes its a bit confusing this one roller as you say the tail looks typical to a recovered live smoke round that has burnt ,plus theres what looks like the usual burning around the emission holes,Wonder if this is ground dug and just corrosion ?The only tech drawing i have of one of these is i think 1960s dated and describes the filling as pitch or lead shot,with no means of ignition shown,

Attachments

• 2in-16.jpg
    2in-16.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 56