What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2in Smk Wp mortar projectile

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello
I'm looking for datas and diagram of 2in smoke mortar bomb filled WP.
TIA

From "Infantry Training Vol. 1 Infantry Platoon Weapons Pam. 8 The Light Mortar (2-inch) and Illuminants", 1966

Image1.jpg

Cheers,

S.

This is the common manual drawing showing a blatant printing error.
Cartridge should be 47g , 50 gr or 55 gr Ballistite. 4gr would be lucky to clear the barrel ??
There were smoke emission rounds base ignited and Smoke bursting phosphorous rounds which were nose fuzed.
I like the 2" Mortars so always interested in photos and information.

Here is the section on ammunition from the 1944 Handbook, covering Marks11* to V111*, include yr WP bomb question.
Alan1.DSCN0841[1].JPGDSCN0842[1].JPGDSCN0843[1].JPGDSCN0844[1].JPGDSCN0845[1].JPGDSCN0846[1].JPGDSCN0847[1].JPGDSCN0848[1].JPG

This is the common manual drawing showing a blatant printing error.
Cartridge should be 47g , 50 gr or 55 gr Ballistite. 4gr would be lucky to clear the barrel ??
There were smoke emission rounds base ignited and Smoke bursting phosphorous rounds which were nose fuzed.
I like the 2" Mortars so always interested in photos and information.
The 1966 manual is mostly metric, with the odd thing in Imperial. As such if the charge was 4 grams (4 g), then its mass in grains (gr) would be approximately 62 gr.

The 1966 manual is mostly metric, with the odd thing in Imperial. As such if the charge was 4 grams (4 g), then its mass in grains (gr) would be approximately 62 gr.
I agree that the photos from Alan1 are too small and I also want to view them.
There was no 62 gr load for the 2" British mortar as 55gr Ballistite was the largest charge.
I think the manual left the 7 off the 47gr cartridge. All information is welcome. Ron.

Excellent information and thanks.Looks like I need to find red, green and white multi mortars to add to my red & green one.
I have a manual somewhere but differs from this one. Nice photos this time. Ha Ha.

I agree that the photos from Alan1 are too small and I also want to view them.
There was no 62 gr load for the 2" British mortar as 55gr Ballistite was the largest charge.
I think the manual left the 7 off the 47gr cartridge. All information is welcome. Ron.
I've come to the conclusion, this after researching and then writing many, many hundreds of technical entries on munitions and weapons for Jane's and other companies, that just because I haven't seen something doesn't mean it did not exist or is incorrect.

And quite the opposite to the above, the amount of errors that I have seen about of munitions and weapons in official and unofficial documentation, which are perpetuated on the internet and then taken as undisputed facts, is frankly legion.

Finally, maybe they have left the seven off when trying to cram in all the data, who knows.