What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2inch Mortar

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi All, just wondering if anybody can help i have a 2inch smoke or Illum Mortar dated 1940 but the top lid is plain with no raised letter did they make the early ones without a identifying letter,
Regards
Andy

Attachments

• P1060656.jpg
    P1060656.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 57
  • P1060657.jpg
    P1060657.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 50
  • P1060655.jpg
    P1060655.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Hi All, just wondering if anybody can help i have a 2inch smoke or Illum Mortar dated 1940 but the top lid is plain with no raised letter did they make the early ones without a identifying letter,
Regards
Andy

Hi Andy,
first, your 2inch mortar is an illuminating or signal shell, not a smoke. The bottoms with holes of the shell are different.
Second, your top cover is probably the cover of a 2inch Signal Mk I.

I'll post drawings later

Yoda

Here the drawings, (thanks Mr Belot !)

On the first pic you can see the flat cover of the 2"Sig Mk I with a single star. The multiple stars projo's had a embossed mark on the covers.

Second pic, you can see the main difference between a Smoke (left) and a Ill-Sig (right) projectile.

Yoda

Attachments

• 2inch Sig Mk I-01comp.jpg
    2inch Sig Mk I-01comp.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Difference Smk-Ill.jpg
    Difference Smk-Ill.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Hi Andy,
You have an para illuminating round. Its an early one because it has an aluminium tail (as opposed to mazac). They must have had blank caps to start with and then progressed on to raised shapes to aid identification.
Cheers
Gary

Hi Andy,
You have an para illuminating round. Its an early one because it has an aluminium tail (as opposed to mazac). They must have had blank caps to start with and then progressed on to raised shapes to aid identification.
Cheers
Gary

Thank you Gary, what are the chances of finding the inards for one
Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy, the parachutes turn up occasionally but have never come across a flare, inert or otherwise. Cheers Gary

Hi Andy,hope your well mate,a few pics,difference in size of rounds(ignore age difference,there still the same post war),chute in its original carboard half tube and a wartime chute. Im sure you could replicate these so if you want proper sizes,let me know. cheers Tony.

Hi Andy,hope your well mate,a few pics,difference in size of rounds(ignore age difference,there still the same post war),chute in its original carboard half tube and a wartime chute. Im sure you could replicate these so if you want proper sizes,let me know. cheers Tony.

Hi Tony, i am ok thanks, hope you are ok too and thank you nice to see some original bits and yes please to a few measurements that would be great.
Cheers
Andy

Not sure if it is mate,but looks very close to the one in Tonys photos,no markings but if..........................:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Cheers
Tony

P5180027.jpg