What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd World War dates

sksvlad

Canada appears to define WWII as a period of 1931-1945 (Japanese invasion of Manchuria, I presume). In the US it is mostly 1939-1945. What is it in the rest of the world?
DSCF1049.jpg

Please don't assume that any display at the National War Museum is correct.
They have no idea what they are doing.
Their displays are inaccurate in so many ways.

1939 to 1945 is the accepted time period.

Last edited:
That Canadian museum display is ludicrous . You might as well say that The Great War of 1914-18 started in the year dot & has never actually ended . It's essential to place approximate time lines on major conflicts or you can't put previous or subsequent problems into context . There was still major battles going on in Europe after WW1 [ask Turkey !] & after WW2 [ask almost anyone ] . I can only assume that the person who sanctioned that Canadian exhibit was angling for some sort of trade deal with the Chinese .

possibly for deaths that happened after 1945 but due to actions from 1939-45,ie the deaths that occurred to occupying forces of Germany after the end of the war?

As for WW1,officially in Britian the dates were 1914-1919(as marked on the Victory Medal and the Territorial Force War Medal) as we also 'carried on' into 1919 'banging heads together' in Russia........some say,with good reason,that WW1 didn't end until 1945.

It is also possible that soldier were being killed up to that date by Japanese soldiers who were either unaware that the war was over, or who refused to accept it and fought on.
There were many small remote islands occupied by the Japanese and remote parts of New Guinea, where news may not have reached.

possibly for deaths that happened after 1945 but due to actions from 1939-45,ie the deaths that occurred to occupying forces of Germany after the end of the war?

As for WW1,officially in Britian the dates were 1914-1919(as marked on the Victory Medal and the Territorial Force War Medal) as we also 'carried on' into 1919 'banging heads together' in Russia........some say,with good reason,that WW1 didn't end until 1945.

HUN EOD Tech lose four members this year with a russian bomb from WW II ! Shall this war end a day ?

Yoda

I seem to remember that bomb and mine clearance personnel were still covered into 1948, because those who died during clearance work were still working on WW2 munitions when they died. I guess there has to be a cut-off date. My father's unfortunate cousin who died in 1949, believed to have stepped on a mine in Libya, was technically a victim of WW2 but fell outside the cut-off date.
Deals more with the Great War. I don't understand the 31st Dec 1947 date.

http://www.warmemorials.org/uploads/publications/117.pdf

TimG