What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7 Flak 18 Identification - help required

harry2111

Premium Member
Hello

Great forum! I am new to collecting and am looking for some help in identifying primarily the projectile shown in the attached pictures and whether it is correct with the casing, though any info on the casing would be great as well.

The casing is a 3.7cm Flak 18 with a date stamp of I think 1940 and was a metal detecting find in Normandy. The projectile was a junk shop buy, also in Normandy, for 4 euros - bought on a whim as it looked right for the casing . The projectile is approx 10cms long, with a diameter of approx 3.5cms, and weighs about 1lb 4oz. Brass banding is damaged with no visable stamps.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_4593.jpg
    IMG_4593.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4592.jpg
    IMG_4592.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4591.jpg
    IMG_4591.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 73
  • img264a.jpg
    img264a.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 76
Your projectile is for 37mm Pak. Flak AP-shell has a narrow driwing band.

Thus these 2 do not belong together.

Thanks Tmine, and also the Flak projectiles have double crimping rings on them and the Pak has only one.
Best Weasel.

Thanks for the useful information, Weasel and TMine. Thought it would be too good to be true to find the right projectile for the case! Not the best start to my collection then! :laugh:

37mm Flak AP-shell has only one band, as well as late type HE-shells. Only early HE-shells have 2 bands.

Yes I confirm that.
My 3.7cm Pak & Flak case with their AP shell. ;)

The Pak case and the Flak fuze are endommaged ...

1006775z.jpg

1006784.jpg

1006782t.jpg

And...

Thanks Tiflo. Great pictures and very helpful. Now I am clear on the difference between the 2 and know what to look out for.

Hello
I think as Tiflo said, that your projectile is a 3.7cm Panzergranate for PAK and Kw.K. Its length should be 102mm. His band is approximately 15mm to the base. It was equipped with a BdZ 5103 *.

Attachments

• P1080534.jpg
    P1080534.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 31