What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7 inch shell

Bomber Machin

Hi,
Does anyone have the diamentions of a british 3.7 inch shell (projectile)please? Mainly the length from the driving band, and the place from the driving band where it starts to curve to the point.

Also need to know what colour they were painted

I have a shell case now, and being as the shells are as scarce as rocking horse doo doos I fancy making a dummy one out of wood.

Be glad if anyone can help

Cheers

Dale Machin

Hi Dale, I too would be interested in this info or if someone has any repro's made in resin etc. as you say rare indeed spoke to a dealer at Stoneleigh militaria and said he'd only seen 3 in the past 5 years.
My hobby is reenacting not collecting [not everyones taste] and would like to incorporate a 3.7in projectile in a Bomb Disposal impression, as not many seem to cover this extaordinary brave role.

3.7aa

band width is 35mm, front of band to top excluding fuze is 266mm, front of band to start of ogive rad is 127mm. from that you should be able to scale from a drawing the band to base dimn. cant easily give you that as my shell is very tight in its case. 2pr