What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7 Inch with Steel Case.

Buster

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
The pictures show a 3.7 cartridge and projectile. The thing on the side of the case is a magnetic aerial mount. I have never seen a 3.7 steel case, in fact I have never seen a steel case on any British made QF Fixed Ammunition. Sadly the markings on the base are not clear in the picture because of rust. However they are from top to bottom.

3.7 Mk 1 TO 3 GUNS

D2 L 7203/B/1099

LOT 3 RLB

^ 1954

Has anyone got any information about steel cases in British service and 3.7s in particular.

Thanks in advance.

3.7 Steel Case.JPG3.7 Steel Case Base.JPG

Buster,

Isn't the D2 reference to a drawing number attributable to Fort Halstead?

Although not QF fixed, there was a steel 25 pdr case. Also, I think the Navy had some steel cased QF - (but that might have been American ammunition for American guns fitted to British ships built in America).

TimG

Update - We did Naval 3"/70 in steel

Last edited:
I know my memory is not that good but I seem to recall a thread large steel cases made in Britain, but cant recall where on this site.

Hi Bonnex helped me out with this info on a cut down 3" may help with the D2 etc hope it helps . http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/86678-3-quot-Experimental

D2(L) 7203/B/1099

D2(L) is a Fort Halstead prefix and it identifies the drawing office that dealt with projectiles and cartridge cases etc. It superseded DD(L) for those natures towards the end of the war and lasted to the mid-1950s when a reorganisation was accompanied by new drawing prefixes (eg S1 for projectiles).

7203 is the drawing number (and a copy could not be located).
B probably means the second revision.
1099 is the 'Parent Number' for the project and rather less than usefully in this case decodes to Case, Cartridge, 3.7 inch Marks 1 to 3 Guns, Empty.