What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7cm FlaK 18.

waffenamt

This one caught my eye,so i thought i would give it a good home!

3.7cm Flak with a double-driveband?
Nice crisp stamps on the case,proj,transport plug and the driveband itself.

Anyone know why it has a double driveband please? Is it for extended range?
last 2 pics are similar,one under flash.
best

waff

Attachments

• S7007557.jpg
    S7007557.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 128
  • S7007558.jpg
    S7007558.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 155
  • S7007559.jpg
    S7007559.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 125
  • S7007560.jpg
    S7007560.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 131
  • S7007561.jpg
    S7007561.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 106
  • S7007562.jpg
    S7007562.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 93
Can i see a picture of the proj , without the case?

Sure!
Only under flash as its very dark up here now. I much prefer daylight shots.

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7007589.jpg
    S7007589.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 103
  • S7007590.jpg
    S7007590.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 92
  • S7007591.jpg
    S7007591.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 91
3,7 cm Flak 18 HE-shells ( early ones ) have 2 driving bands but AP-shells should have only 1.
I don't have my manuals in hands now but I think this one is for aircraft cannon, APHE with cavity for charge and thread for base fuze. See also the Luftwaffe WaA on band.

3,7 cm Flak 18 HE-shells ( early ones ) have 2 driving bands but AP-shells should have only 1.
I don't have my manuals in hands now but I think this one is for aircraft cannon, APHE with cavity for charge and thread for base fuze. See also the Luftwaffe WaA on band.

Indeed a Lufty stamp. Thanks Reino.
Ok,what should the correct case be then please?,plus would this have been used on the Tank-Busters? I recall pics of Stukas with a long barrel protruding out of the front of them.

cheers

waff

As far as I know your case is correct waff. I just don't know much about 3,7cm aircraft cannons and can't say if primer should be as yours or electric but that's peanuts.

As far as I know your case is correct waff. I just don't know much about 3,7cm aircraft cannons and can't say if primer should be as yours or electric but that's peanuts.

A case for the 3,7 cm BK , have only 1 crimp, and a case for 3,7 cm Flak,

But if this is a live type projectile, so where is the base fuze? Becuase on the 4th picture is only a tracer.
Or if this is a solid AP projectile so why be the hole inside?

Hey,

Afaik, this would be an "Anschuss" (barrel/pressure test) projectile, it is deffo not an AP.
There are however "replicas" (that would be fakes in normal speech) of the Anschussgranate, the stamps and drivingbands don't convince me of it's originality.

greetz,

Menno.

Last edited:
that should resemble a 3,7 cm Anschussgeschoss (proof-shot), but I have some doubt about it's originality:

-I have never seen a Luftwaffe stamp on a "Anschussgeschoss"
-the Luftwaffe stamp itself looks weird
-the other markings do not look original.
-all 3,7 Anschussgeschosse I have seen have different text stamped (including weight)
-the driving-bands are looking like soldered together
-two copper driving bands make no sense together with year 1944, there should be one iron band.

In comparsion, the base plug looks original. Make your own opinion :tinysmile_cry_t2:

//Edit: pzgr40/42 was faster but this strengthens my opinion :)

Last edited:
The case is totally right, but the way are the letters and numbers marked on the shell and the eagle on copper band.... Id like to read what other members with more knowledge than me have to say. Anyway from the bands to down is exactly the same than a German 3,7cm. Hummm, interesting. WOW, while writing my post another 6 posts were posted.

Last edited:
One crimp Tank Busters, the left one is a standard 3,7cm Flak for comparison:

Attachments

• 3,7cm Flak BK 1.jpg
    3,7cm Flak BK 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 3,7cm Flak BK 2.jpg
    3,7cm Flak BK 2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 83
Here are some photos of the 37mm rounds used in the Luftwaffe cannon.

I know nothing about these, but thought they may be useful in this thread.

regards Kev

002.jpg008a.jpg009.jpg

WOW, what a pics!!!!! First is a Double Band, but what are the rounds on the other two pics? Thank you Kev for these great pictures.

Indeed thanks very much lads for all pictures.

I wasnt to sure if that was a double-band in the first pic without squinting too much but Mig confirms it.
Lads,ive had a lot of cracking stuff from the same collection this round is from and have always been happy.

best

waff