What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7cm FlaK 18.

Waff I have just had a quick check through the BK LDv 4000/10

It is listed as a 3.7cm Granatpatrone 18 (Ansch) which I think is a traget projectile for the 3.7cm BK. The problem is it has only one drive band.

What is the length of the projectile?

PC

Last edited:
Hi bud, :)

I get 125mm using my ancient wooden ruler. Also,i forgot to mention it has a left-handed thread for the plug.

waff

WOW, what a pics!!!!! First is a Double Band, but what are the rounds on the other two pics? Thank you Kev for these great pictures.

I think you are right on this, first picture has double bands, look at the markings on the projectile .... Ex could it then be a practice/drill round?

I think Ex stands for excercise??

regards Kev

It is listed as a 3.7cm Granatpatrone 18 (Ansch) which I think is a traget projectile for the 3.7cm BK. The problem is it has only one drive band.

These Anschuss-Projectiles and all other 37 mm Flak shells exist with 2 x copper bands and later productions with 1 x FES (iron) driving band. The only place where the Anschuss projectiles have been used are firing ranges (there are many thousands of them). New produced 3,7 cm Flak guns and also the rare on 3,7 cm Flak based 3,7 cm BK had to be accepted by the Waffenamt (like all other guns too). Part of acceptance procedure was that some shots with such Anschuss-projectiles were fired from each gun on special firing ranges.

But all this makes the shown projectile not a real one. The guy who produced them on his lathe should be well known in german collectors scene as it is not his only "product". Just heat up the projectile a little bit and you will see the driving bands falling when the solder melts ;-) On real projectiles nothing will happen...

For the driving bands see point ) at the attached drawing: it states "when copper, than two driving bands" The pages are from L.Dv.4402/3 Munition 3,7 cm Flak 18 & Flak 36.

Attachments

• Ansch.png
    Ansch.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 37Ueb.jpg
    37Ueb.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
these are the same types as on my drawing in very rusty condition. With "Verwendet in 3,7cm Flak 18, 36, 43 und in der 3,7cm Bordkanone der Ju87" the seller writes the truth, but he is showing only pictures of the Aircraft gun. This should spool the prices, but in such a bad condition these projectiles are available in large quantity and not much worth. The Anschuss-projectiles in good condition and unfired are very rare, one point why people try to make money with reproductions. And from the point of craftsmanship the shown repro is very good, I just not like when it is sold as original.

I can add a picture of the 3,7 Anschussgeschoss with iron driving band in comparsion to one with two copper bands this evening.

these are the same types as on my drawing in very rusty condition. With "Verwendet in 3,7cm Flak 18, 36, 43 und in der 3,7cm Bordkanone der Ju87" the seller writes the truth, but he is showing only pictures of the Aircraft gun. This should spool the prices, but in such a bad condition these projectiles are available in large quantity and not much worth. The Anschuss-projectiles in good condition and unfired are very rare, one point why people try to make money with reproductions. And from the point of craftsmanship the shown repro is very good, I just not like when it is sold as original.

I can add a picture of the 3,7 Anschussgeschoss with iron driving band in comparsion to one with two copper bands this evening.

Yes please do as if mine is indeed a repro then it will be returned to the seller pronto!

cheers

waff

Alpini you are great. Fantastic explanation. Paul you always have to check well the markings on German items, they never marked letter by letter. Take anyone of your other shells and check it.

Attachments

• S7007558.jpg
    S7007558.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 58
  • S7007559.jpg
    S7007559.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 58
here are two real ones, but fired and not in best condition...

Grenademan2005 pointed out well the obviously indicators. And I just recognized an other failure, which the forger did. When looking at the picture with the bottom view, it is clearly visible that there is much rust inside the projectile and no "impression" of the base plug. Even the rustiest looking original projectiles are very new inside because the plugs close very well, just like your base plug is looking like (I think it is a real one).

Attachments

• 3,7 cm Anschussgeschoss 1.jpg
    3,7 cm Anschussgeschoss 1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 68
here are two real ones, but fired and not in best condition...

Grenademan2005 pointed out well the obviously indicators. And I just recognized an other failure, which the forger did. When looking at the picture with the bottom view, it is clearly visible that there is much rust inside the projectile and no "impression" of the base plug. Even the rustiest looking original projectiles are very new inside because the plugs close very well, just like your base plug is looking like (I think it is a real one).

Quick update gentlemen.
Myself and my good pal Mick had a good goosey at the proj under daylight conditions and i am indeed thinking now that it is a 'moody' projectile.
Good news is that the seller will take it back and refund me or swap for something else.
Maybe this thread is worth moving into the fakes section here at BOCN?

cheers

waff

Bad luck Paul, I thought for a while you were onto a scarce item.......then things took a dive.
Too bad people out there will decieve like this........also great to hear that your seller will refund, (you mentioned the fact that you had dealt with him before.)

Definately one for the fakes section.

regards Kev

Bad luck Paul, I thought for a while you were onto a scarce item.......then things took a dive.
Too bad people out there will decieve like this........also great to hear that your seller will refund, (you mentioned the fact that you had dealt with him before.)

Definately one for the fakes section.

regards Kev

Nay mind,will stick to my fuzes i reckon! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
I only bought it because of the double driving band and had no idea it may have been a good score?
At Stoneleigh,the light is bad for a good inspection.

best

waff

Dont be frustrated by this one, Paul, shit happens sometimes, but we are here for help you and everyone. Man, I love more and more the new forum with every minute I pass in it.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Dont be frustrated by this one, Paul, shit happens sometimes, but we are here for help you and everyone. Man, I love more and more the new forum with every minute I pass in it.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hi Mig,
nah,im not bothered in the least buddy.Good thing is i get my money back or even better,a trade for something i really prefer such as german bomb fuzes and SD-2 parts.
I would usually not let it bother me and keep the thing but whats the point if it is a bad one?

best

waff

The 'nyv 44' marking is a dead giveaway- there are a number of fake LW rounds out there by this scumbag: more often the pointed BK 3,7cm projectiles (sometimes marked 'nyv 45' too); they seem to like Rheinmetall-Borsig's Unterlss factory for some reason. Watch out too for the pointed AP 2cm projectiles marked 'aux 44'.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any examples of the 6 round loading trays for the 3.7 Flak, I have been looking at one and it appears to be different to the ones I have seen, this particular one has wire clips fitted to retain the cartridges??

thanks,
Peter.