What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7cm Pak AP

DAZ REICH

3-52274ede554ae2c425b914cb7d4d2702.jpg
Hi all dare I ask for help on this shell i'm 99.9% sure its a 3.7cm pak AP I was wondering if any of you have any other pics of different types of rounds and if you could tell me why the base is of steel and the case of brass as I have seen all brass cases but not a steel bum on one is the shell correct.
Also i think i am getting there on the photo uploading front touch wood.
Daz

Hi Daz Reich,

The only thing i can think of that it is used to train the troops in loding the gun with that type of base on your case with the four holes, but it can also be that they were trying to save Brass.
Have also seen it on USSR cases found in east germany.

Cheers Mad.

Thanks mad the four holes are the way that the base is attached to the shell they look like some sort of rivet /screw thingy

Hi Daz.

You've got a 3.7cm Pak Pzgr, fuze Bd Z 5103.
This was the standard APHE shell when the gun was introduced.
Your case is a correct early two piece brass and steel type.
The pictures Spotter posted are for the Czech Skoda 37mm Kanone P.U.V. vz 37 (3.7cm Pak 34(t) in German service).
Hope that helps.

Quatermass

Well I never would of thought it was part HE its crimped tightly in so have never removed the tip to see inside thanks quatermass YET AGAIN:laugh:

One thing quater do you know what colour the projectile would of been originaly or have any pics of this round.
Cheers DAZ

The colour would have been black with red stencilling.

As for effectiveness both the German and Czech gun had similar performance initially, the Pak 36 recieved new types of ammo that allowed it to stay in service longer than the Czech gun whose devolopment ceased in 1939.

Quatermass

P.S. Many books marvel at the Germans ability to keep weapons in service long after they should have been obsolete (and to all intents and purposes were), but the counter to that point of view is that the other nations simply built new weapons that could do the job.
Its good for collectors as the Germans had all sorts of special rounds, not the way to win a war though, thankfully.