What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3" CS Tank Howitzer Cases

peregrinvs

Spotted these two beauties on eBay and quickly negotiated a buy it now.

Does anyone have any experience at removing soldered badges from cartridge cases? I've read you can remove solder from brass by melting it with a blowtorch, but I thought I'd see if anyone can confirm this.

3 inch CS Tank Howitzer cases - RLB 1941 (1).JPG3 inch CS Tank Howitzer cases - RLB 1941 (2).JPG3 inch CS Tank Howitzer cases - RLB 1941 (7).JPG3 inch CS Tank Howitzer cases - RLB 1941 (6).JPG3 inch CS Tank Howitzer cases - RLB 1941 (5).JPG3 inch CS Tank Howitzer cases - RLB 1941 (4).JPG

Just heat it up, and the badges will fall right off. Wipe the solder off with a rag when it is still hot. Very easy. I would be willing to trade you a 95mm case for the Centaur tank for one of those.

Thanks. Will dig out the blow torch.

I already have a 95mm thanks. I would however swap the spare for a 3PR 2CWT, a 3.7" mortar or a 20 Pounder case. I could also be seriously tempted with an unfired 17 Pounder projectile.

Success. Badge is now removed.

The time consuming bit was using abrasives and polishes to remove the residue of the solder off the brass and then polishing it smooth.