What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 inch rocket 25lb practice warheads

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
3inch rocket 25lb practice warheads ,still with bakelite transit caps.They were dug up today during some building works and have survived very well.
Noticed some painted markings remain on them but i have no idea what they mean,if anyone knows please let me know.

Attachments

• P240510_12.27.jpg
    P240510_12.27.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 109
  • P240510_12.28.jpg
    P240510_12.28.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I believe the monogram "AIS" would have been applied by RAF Armourers. The letters following - not sure if it is "BRR" or similar may represent a station code or possibly a status of the item - the army used BER (Beyond Economic Repair) and BLR (Beyond Local Repair) as status codes for some equipment.
What is the white lettering below?

Hi Spotter
The 'AIS BRK'(?) is an inspector's mark. Although inert, these heads were subject to periodic and random inspections in the same way as other explosive stores. When they had been inspected (because they are made of concrete that mainly consisted of checking that they weren't chipped beyond certain defined limits, thereby affecting their weight and ballistics), the inspector from the Aeronautical Inspection Service (AIS) would stencil 'AIS' and his recogonised initials - in this case 'BRK'(?) to show that the particular head was serviceable. I can't make out the other markings but they are not significant.
Regards
Dave aka eodda

AIS use to be located at RAF Chilmark. They were the bain of my life, always finding something on inspection.