What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 inch shell case on ebay

Is it a 76mm oto melara case? Or were they all made of steel?

Darren

Last edited:
Is it a 76mm oto melara case? Or were they all made of steel?

Darren

Thanks that's what threw me, I thought they were all steel too but looks like they come in brass as well.
Ta,
Dave.

76mm Oto-Melara

Hi Dave
Yes i have a brass case for this gun. I'm not at home to check the headstamp, but i think it's Australian naval. I certainly got it from Oz . These cases have a thick rim
(like some Bofors cases) because the gun is automatic and the forces involved are quite considerable.
Cheers....Charley

Link

Try this link as I am fairly sure they are Brass cases and the weapon is an OTO Melara Auto.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XLWKhA3od0[/ame]

Dave,

It looks like an Otto Malera case. They are typically referred to as 76 mm 62 caliber which would be the 76/62 on the head stamp.

It was my understanding that SMI was an Italian company that made cartridge cases among other things.

The U.S. made their first cases in brass, then ended up going to steel.

I have a brass case as well.

IIRC the Royal Navy used brass cases.

The OTO Melara Compact gun was used on the Peacock Class Patrol boats.

I did some Trials on HMS Swift during which we fired 20 rounds in 20 seconds with the gun going throught the full range of elevation motion.

The RN had the slow version of the gun. It would only fire 60rounds/minute.

There is a rapid version that will do 120 rounds/minute.

The Ships were sold to the Irish and Philipino Navies.

If any one has a spare projectile for this gun I am looking for one.

Thanks for all the replies guys, great film Chris.
120 per minute, that's a lot of metal in the air.
Dave.

SMI = Societa Metallurgica Italiana (Italy)

Most cases I have seen on mainland Europe were made of brass.

South African ones are made of steel.

Any info on the manufacturers of other steel cases?

Norris Industries in Vernon California made the steel ones in the U.S. and probably the brass ones. They used NIV or NOR for manufacturer codes. They are no longer in business. I worked at that factory in the late 80's.