What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 inch Stokes Bomb Markings

peregrinvs

Hi,

I am looking to mark up this Stokes bomb as per the illustration and would appreciate some guidance.

Firstly what Mark or Marks of Stokes bomb would it be with this type of fuze? i.e. MkI, MkII, etc?

Secondly what the the filling date format be? Say for example the filling date was 01 July 1916. Would that be marked as 1/7/16 or 01/07/16 or 01/07/1916, etc?

Thanks,
Mark
IMG_1358.jpegIMG_1365.jpg

When marking it up try not to neatly stencil it as it came out of modern production, rubber stamp it or roughly stencil it as would a woman factory worker who has to mark up a thousand on her table at the factory. The bands where applied on a turn table painted by hand hold a loaded brush as you turned thats how 3inch mortar rounds from WW2 were done and i asume the same done twenty years before.

Last edited: