What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Inch Stokes Mortar

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Here's a bit of an strange one;

During the clearance of a former test range, we uncovered lots of experimental ordnance.

This item is the tail from a 3" Stokes mortar. Normally the Stokes would tumble through the air, but it appears they tried to stabilise it by attaching fins.

Has anyone seen this elsewhere?

3inch_Mortar_tail.jpg

INTERESTING ... I have a 3 inch stokes. Cleaned up plenty on experimental ranges and have never seen anything like it.

Thanks for showing it ... goes to show you can never underestimate what you might find out there, and just when you think you have seen it all ...

Joe

Here's a bit of an strange one;

During the clearance of a former test range, we uncovered lots of experimental ordnance.

This item is the tail from a 3" Stokes mortar. Normally the Stokes would tumble through the air, but it appears they tried to stabilise it by attaching fins.

Has anyone seen this elsewhere?

View attachment 41815

Pete,

I will send you a drawing by alternative means (it is too large for this site). For general interest the date of the drawing is July 1917. I have seen a Stokes 3-in with a tail unit at what would normally be the fuze end; presumably it flipped in the air.