What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3" mortar fuze box???

cherryturbox

Hi all, need help identifying this wooden box, was told it was for 3" mortar fuzes. Can someone clarify if it is or not please.

many thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 33
Yes, Is the simple answer. The No 152 was used in the 3" Mortar and the 29mm spigot Mortar. It was also used in the 4.2" Mortar. The box you have is marked Wm Sugg & Co , who made Gas lights but during both world wars made Fuzes. http://williamsugghistory.co.uk/?page_id=6#four The box you have is for empty fuzes so would have been used to transport the empty bodies to a filling factory.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Gary

Hi, thanks Gary, I wasn't sure if it was associated with the 3" mortar or not, what would the fuzes look like that went in it?, I have a 3" mortar and several inert bombs, the only one which has an adjustable fuze on it is the parachute flare type mortar. I am going to restore the box now, I will need to put a new bottom in it, does anyone have a reference photo for the lid construction ?.

thanks.

If you search BOCN i'm sure a 152 Fuze will turn up. As for the box can you see a number on the bottom of the box? if not as a rule of thumb the lid will be the same thickness as the base with 2" x 1/2" battens nailed 2" from either end. There will be a steel plate 2" x 1/2" rebated in to the top of the lid at the end where the split pin passes through. Will see if I can find a picture....
Cheers
Gary