What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 pdr diagrams?

AndyD

Does anyone have any diagrams of a 3 pdr AP projectile that may help me to discover the purpose of a brass plug in the base please?

It looks exactly the same as practice projectiles I've had in the past,with the exception of the brass plug.

Cheers,
Andy

Ok,finally got 3 pics from a full battery charge,then they died!

All opinions welcome!

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

• DSCN1921.jpg
    DSCN1921.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN1922.jpg
    DSCN1922.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1923.jpg
    DSCN1923.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 26
No markings anywhere to be seen.

Is it a 3 pdr?
Measures 165mm long,diameter is 45mm.

Cheers,
Andy

diagram

Hi
Here the typical diagram of 3 and 6 pr coast gun
Base groove for casel is different on your 3 pdr

Attachments

• File0001.jpg
    File0001.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 48
3pr

Definitely looks like a 3pr comon pionted shell of around 1900. There would normally be a base fuze with a left hand thread. Sometimes empty fuze bodies or solid plugs were fitted to practice shell when they were inert filled. Looks like you have some of the brass left in that has been sawn off, maybe because its jammed in hard or someone didn't realise it was LH threaded. A quick measure of a fuze body I have would make me think a fuze is solid brass to below the level of the base of the shell. wii look and see what drawings I have. 2pr

3pr drawings

Please find attached, hope they help. The shell is shown in a Vickers case but they were the same as Hotchkiss. 2pr

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 36
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 62
Thanks doctor and 2 pr!

I can't tell if it is a plug in the base or the remains of a base fuze,hopefully it's just a plug!

I've tried to remove it but it won't budge and I daren't use the blow torch!

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Andy