What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3" Stokes mortar question

Cirus

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to differentiate a chemical Stokes mortar from an HE version (inside and out)? Also does anyone know where I could source some colour codings for these projectiles, both chemical and HE?

Regs
Cirus

blank Page;

Allen I get a blank page on your BOCN reference page.
John

Thanks for letting me know John,,
Cirus if you type "stokes" into the search option you will find lots of info the members have posted

John,

I need to do some further digging to see if I have more data on the 3" Stokes, but here are a few things. I have never really dug deeply into it, but I have always thought that externally there were no differences between the HE and Chemical bodies. The difference being the internal container the chemical was placed in to seal it properly. The drawings are from the 19 March 1928, TR 1350-3A on the mortar ammunition. The color plates also date to 1928. Not sure I have anything earlier. I have a complete round with a marked "INERT" Mk VI fuze. Interesting thing is that there are no stamped markings on mine as shown in the plates. Not sure if that is because earlier ones were not stamped or if I happen to have a British body. Bob

Attachments

• 3 inch Stokes color.jpg
    3 inch Stokes color.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 3 inch Stokes HE.jpg
    3 inch Stokes HE.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 3 inch Stokes Smoke.jpg
    3 inch Stokes Smoke.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 71
Hi all,

Thanks for the information, it has helped me a lot. But more specifically, does anyone know what a 3" Stokes was filled with if it had a green painted body and a single white band around its middle?

Regs
Cirus.