What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.30-06 Green Tip Question

falcon5nz

Hey guys. Can any one shed any like on this cartridge?
.3006 ap 001.jpg
I beleive I was told it was AP for interrupted guns in aircraft? I was at my first cartridge meet at the time and learnt a valuable lesson. Take a notebook.

Hello Falcon,
as far as I know, this was contract ammo for the UK - therefore the green tipped AP marking. Like you mentioned already it was for Aircraft use.
Erik

Hi Falcon,
Any chance of a photo of the green tip,purple varnish on annulus would suggest this is ball ammo,I also would like to know what aircraft these were used in our brownings were in .303" for aircraft
Cheers Tony

Hi falcon,
just had a look at Chris Punnett's site,an introduction to collecting 30-06, and he states that the M1924 tracer was loaded in green or red trace-sometimes denoted by a green or red tip,but these rounds were usually case darkened,in 1930 the blacking was dropped, maybe worth a visit to the site
Cheers Tony

If you look at Chris Punnetts writing you find under AP Cartridges this sentence "Foreign AP round usually followed the U.S. standard bullet design and color coding. The exception is the AP from Argentina that has a red bullet tip and the British AP round which has a green bullet tip."
Here the whole article from Chris Punnett http://cartridgecollectors.org/30-06intro/
Erik

Photo

Here's a pic of the whole round.
Picture2.jpg
I seem to remember I was told that the between the R and the A and the crimped primer indicated it was for A/C use. But I was told a lot of things that day so I may well be wrong.
Just for the record-Flexible waterproof keyboards are brilliant for when you spill beer on them but useless to type on:xd:

Hey guys. Can any one shed any like on this cartridge?
View attachment 17431
I beleive I was told it was AP for interrupted guns in aircraft? I was at my first cartridge meet at the time and learnt a valuable lesson. Take a notebook.
This is Lend Lease contract ammn. Used to have a carton of 20 rds. l may still have one somewhere. Did not the home guard use this calibre (as well as others) and we used it in AFV's. I remember seeing the aircraft .30 in boxes printed Special for RAF. So from memory only - think it was for ground & air use - US tanks being armed with .30 cal. Ron. P.S. Have Poor Memory!!!

Last edited:
Green bullet tip.

This may help - two RA ammn. labels. Top ofcourse is ball. Lower label: AP with green tip. Note, the text printed - ''Black Tip'' inked over and Special for RAF is included. Regards, RonB.

Attachments

• .300in. labels.jpg
    .300in. labels.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

This is Remington ammo made on contract for the RAF. These contracts were placed by the British Purchasing Commission in America before Lend-lease and as previously posted conformed to British rather than US colour markings. There were also red tipped tracers and a small amount of blue tipped incendiary with a similar headstamp. Remington did however use a purple annulus colour for all loads. .30-06 was known as .300z in British service. (Remington also made a very nice .30-06 dummy for the RAF with green painted flutes.)

Remington also made .50 Browning ammo for the RAF with similar tip colours which was headstampe "50 CAL Z"

We also purchased US military ammo in these loads from the US government in both calibres.

Thes rounds were for use in the US aircraft that Britain had also purchased, particularly Hudsons, Kittyhawks and B-17s that were armed with .30 calibre Brownings. (that's were all our gold reserves went!)

The correct designation for the Remington AP ammo is "Cartridge SA Armour Piercing, .30 inch W Mark II.z". The Mark Iz was the US military AP M1.

Later, when US Lend lease ammo and weapons came to the UK in large numbers and were used to arm the Home Guard, normal US colour codes were used, i.e. black for AP.

One final point. The groove round the primer acted as a crimp to prevent "caps out" conditions in brownings and also to work harden the head during manufacture. They were for wing and turret guns,not synchronised guns as none of the US aircraft had these.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
This is Lend Lease contract ammn. Used to have a carton of 20 rds. l may still have one somewhere. Did not the home guard use this calibre (as well as others) and we used it in AFV's. I remember seeing the aircraft .30 in boxes printed Special for RAF. So from memory only - think it was for ground & air use - US tanks being armed with .30 cal. Ron. P.S. Have Poor Memory!!!

Yes , Home guard used this caliber , for the M1917 rifle (Winchester)
I found a couple of these rounds myself (With the green tip.) in the Netherlands

Last edited:
30-06

True that the Home Guard used this calibre, not just in M1917, Winchester, Remington and Remington-Eddystone, but also in Brownings and BARs.

The point is though that the round in question with the green tip is not a Home Guard load but a contract for the RAF. Most of the Home Guard ammunition was from Lend-Lease which used U.S, colour codes.

Regards
TonyE