What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 X 130 Aden type round query

SG500

Premium Member
Attached is a 30 X 130 Aden type round next to a normal 30 x 111 Aden.
I got this from a very reliable source some years ago who said it was a pre engraved projectile.
I've shown some close up photos of the driving band - there doesn't appear to be a lot of angle to the rifling.
Any of you experts out there have any thoughts on this one? It is listed in the cartridge listings but I can't find out any more information on it.
Not to be confused with the more common 30 X 126 that you see around.
All inert/hole in the backs etc.
Dave.

Attachments

• 11 June 09 005.jpg
    11 June 09 005.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 11 June 09 006.jpg
    11 June 09 006.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 11 June 09 007.jpg
    11 June 09 007.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 45
Aden

I am not sure how the shell would line up with the rifling at the speed an ADEN feeds rounds, but the straight rifling would figure.

The ADEN has a progressively rifled barrel and the rifling starts out straight and then increases in twist. This method prevents stripping of the driving band.

Maybe if it is a pre-engraved shell it was meant to be single loaded in a test barrel, but that seems a bit odd.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks Tony, that's a bit of information I didn't know about the Aden and explains it.

Dave.