What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 X 170 Rarden APFSDS

Sorry, not much more info. The L21A1 appears to be have been classified for storage and transport by the MOD around 2001. It has a NATO stock number of 1305-99-245-9242

My thanks to Tony and everyone else. It clears up some of my confusion. I am surprised at the L15 series because I had no idea the British experimented with Abe Flatau's tubular projectile designs. I have spent quite a bit of time when Abe was at Aberdeen Proving Grounds talking with him about his tubular projectiles and Ring Airfoil grenades. There was never any mention that I recall, nor have I seen anything since then about the 30mm Rarden projectile. I know that Singapore and a couple of other countries produced some small caliber variations. I have quite a few tubulars and Ring Airfoil grenades, but the L15 is certainly missing!

Clip of 3

A few more..............in a friends collection:tinysmile_hmm_t2:
INERT etc.
Dave.

Attachments

• Nice things 001.jpg
    Nice things 001.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Nice things 002.jpg
    Nice things 002.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 42
  • Nice things 003.jpg
    Nice things 003.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 51
Here you are boys and girls, the Rheinmetall Rarden L21A1 APFSDS round:

RARDEN.APFSDS.jpg

After the last two pics i hope my keyboard is waterproof? Good finds Dave and Tony. God help me when i get married.

Yours jealous as always :) xx

C.

Hi I am new to the forum but sure was surprised to see all the great stuff. Question on the Rareden 30mm APSFDS you pictured. I have one, about what is it worth?

Hi I am new to the forum but sure was surprised to see all the great stuff. Question on the Rareden 30mm APSFDS you pictured. I have one, about what is it worth?

Welcome to the forum.
Which sort have you got - there are a lot of variations.
Would you mind posting a photo of it please?
Ta,
Dave.

I'm a newbie this being my first post. I worked on the RARDEN APDS project in the late 70s and early 80's. The first two rounds are (from the left) a PATEC produced round for UK evaluation (some shot were produced with a screw thread rather than the ultrasonic welding), te second shot is a UK produced round made at Radway Green. The shorter round I have never seen before - if Honeywell had not been mentioned, I would have guessed an RO experimental tubular round that they were playing with in the early 80's. My memory is not fully tuned in yet but I do remember carrying out some trials about 1986 on proposed "improved rounds" with 3 competitors, Patec with a "full spin" FSAPDS, Honeywell with a conventional FSAPDS and AN other, not sure if it was RO or BMARCO. None met the target performance. Hope this helps.