What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 British Mark II ?

zwerge

I have a round-nose loaded .303 cartridge with a Royal Laboratories HS also marked C II,when you shake it you can hear the powder inside,would this be a black powder round?

I have a round-nose loaded .303 cartridge with a Royal Laboratories HS also marked C II,when you shake it you can hear the powder inside,would this be a black powder round?

Just to add if it is cordite you should not hear it rattle inside so it may not have the cordite in it someone may have rendered it inert and put sand into it

RICHARD.

Thanks for the replys,and since it is probably inert I can post a picture.

Attachments

• 303 1.jpg
    303 1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 303 2.jpg
    303 2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 48
C ii

As others have said, it is definitely a Cordite Mark II ball round. Even if it were a Powder Mark II you would not hear of feel the propellant as the charge in the black powder round is a solid pellet of powder with small hole through the centre to aid ignition. Headstamp of an RL powder Mark II round is simply "R^L II"

Regards
TonyE