What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 Drill Round spring loaded tip ?

Mag

Greetings folks
I found this recently and its got me puzzled, from a distance it appears to be a standard 303 drill round (pictured alongside one for comparison) but the tip of the bullet is spring loaded.
It bears the K headstamp and nothing else and the primer pocket is devoid of the anvil and flash holes, dimensionally it is almost identical apart from the rim being somewhat thinner,there are traces of red paint in the 3 flutes visible at 20x magnification but apart from that i know nothing whatsoever about it and its uses regarding the spring loaded point.
I've mulledd over various uses...tubular magazines/toys!/reduced wear from throat of chamber etc...still nothing conclusive though.
Does anyone have any ideas???
Regards

Attachments

• DSC00477.jpg
    DSC00477.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00479.JPG
    DSC00479.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00480.JPG
    DSC00480.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 67
That is a very interesting drill round. Were it on any other type of drill round I would probably dismiss it as some sort of local modification.

However, that round is an experimental drill by Kynoch from the 1930s which exists with two different headstamps, one with the K at 12 o'clock and the other with the K at 6 o'clock. There is no discernible difference between the two types. They also differ from the norm in that the flutes and cap chambers have a cerise coloured clear lacquer rather than the usual matt red paint. I have attached pictures of these.

I have a third type as well which has the bullet seated further out than normal. I am quite sure it was made that way, as apart from the fact that it appears undisturbed, it does not have the usual three stab crimp securement because the cannelure is in the wrong place. Also the flutes and cap chamber are unpainted.

Quite why it was made like that I do not know, as I do not think it would fit into a normal .303 magazine. However, it is obvious they were made for some specific trial, but the reason has been lost over time. Perhaps your one was part of that.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Drill5.jpg
    Drill5.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Kexphs.jpg
    Kexphs.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 62