What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 Machine gun flash hider?? help

swampdonkey

Hello,
Just wondering if someone might know what this flash hider might be from, I did think it was for the browning .303 machine gun but not sure.

Its stamped with 1 1/2 X 1 Sch-40 W.P.B. 1935

Thank you,
Mick

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 58
Thanks for the replies. Originally i was thinking german as well because of the Sch-40, but i thought possibly not as it has imperial sizes marked on it.
As its 1935, it might be an early version for the browning maybe. But then again, maybe something completely different. Almost enough to make my head spin.

Is the inside of the Muzzle Attachment Choke chromed? Does it look like the flash eliminator is a separate part to the choke?

The Choke part does look Browning MkII but the holes around the edge are for split pins (If it is Browning) and I don't see how split pins could be installed with that flash eliminator like that. I suspect it is a Browning Muzzle Attachment Choke but with another make of flash eliminator soldered on.

On the other hand it may be a experimental design for the British contract Colt ANM2 before BSA began production of the MkII, but the argument about the split pin use comes into play again.

The inside of the muzzle attachment does looked chromed. The flash eliminator is separate to the choke.
It looks like the eliminator was possibly swaged (or some other method) around a nut shaped thing on the choke (but part of the choke). Its definitely not soldered on.

What would be the purpose of the split pins? Just to stop it accidentally coming loose and falling off?

Any ideas on possible value of it? i was going to put it on ebay until i got hit with the rule book before listing.

The inside of the muzzle attachment does looked chromed. The flash eliminator is separate to the choke.
It looks like the eliminator was possibly swaged (or some other method) around a nut shaped thing on the choke (but part of the choke). Its definitely not soldered on.

What would be the purpose of the split pins? Just to stop it accidentally coming loose and falling off?

Any ideas on possible value of it? i was going to put it on ebay until i got hit with the rule book before listing.

I think the Nut shaped thing clinches it, it's a Muzzle Attachment Choke from the Browning MkII but with an added non original flash eliminator.

The split pin locks the Choke to the booster so that it can't unscrew, the holes are set so that when the choke is tight, 1 of the holes will align between 2 of the fins of the booster.

As for value, I don't think it's worth a great deal, even less if it's been damaged. The booster is worth a fortune because, believe it or not, Star Wars fans want them to make Light sabres as Obi Wan used a light sabre prop with a Mkii Booster. If you have a figure in mind, let me know as I may be interested.

No light sabre but I do have a 1939 BSA MkII Browning MG. As you can see, I'm missing the barrel jacket so I'm having to make one from tube. The problem is that it's tapered so I now have to make a mandrel to form the taper before threading and slotting.

126.jpg

Hi ....

I had a look at this a while ago and the "1x1 Sch-40 W.P.B." markings rang a bell with me, but at the time, I just couldn't quite remember what they referred too. I was have a browse tonight and I looked at this again and it finally came to me. This is the markings for a standard type of reducer pipe fitting.

1" to 1" Schedule-40 (American ANSI standard for sizes and wall thicknesses) W.F.D. (code for Carbon Steel) and the date is self explanatory. Conformation of this would be finding the wall thickness is 0.19 inches.

Of course this raises some interesting questions .... was it produced this way? A case of production engineering, using an existing, off the shelf component, to simplify and reduce production costs. Or somebody's attempt to restore or recreate a missing part.
It's hard to be certain from the photo's, but the large diameter end of the reducer has been finished off nicely with a neat little chamfer showing a reasonable amount of skill. Also if it is a recreation, finding a 1935 dated reducing coupling of American manufacture seems a bit beyond normal probabilities.

Cheers

Graham D.

These pipe reducers are typically manufactured with a chamfer on each end so they are ready for welding.