What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

303 rounds, more info please.

timeout

Any help on this little lot would be much appreciated.....This is a lot were all live when I bought them, i had them made inert and then sent from the States. so my questions are.
Pics 1 & 2..... SA Ball mk7 Greenwood & Batley 1945. In Tonys book it shows this headstamp but in the notes if I am reading it right it says "pre 1944 bullet secured by 3x120 slit crimps..... post 44 bullet secured by neck crimp" my case is dated 45 and has 3 crimps.
303 for id 001.JPG303 for id 002.JPG

pics 3,4,5.... I wonder if this is a re-load it was sold as British 303 softpoint.

303 for id 003.JPG303 for id 004.JPG303 for id 005.JPG

Pics 6,7
As Tonys is the only book I have for id headstamps for 303's there is a FN headstamp in it for grenade discharger but not a ball round. so the question is was this used for UK guns and what type of bullet is it?

303 for id 006.JPG 303 for id 007.JPG
Pic 8,9
the headstamp on this round is so faint even with a microscope and hand lens you can only just make out 1/2 the letter R next to G. You can see a 7 but the date only one number and thats the last one of possibly two and that might be a 3 or5 is this just a bad headstamp.
303 for id 008.JPG303 for id 009.JPG

I bought 2 x 303 rounds which I was told were made in Iraq the first was made in 1935 with equipment shipped out from the uk. It was pointed out that the only difference between the first run and the last batch which was in 1957 is the neck crimp. the early ones have 3x3mm crimps and the later ones
have 3x7mm crimps. Pics 10,11,12 show a round which is ment to be one of the first from 1935
303 for id 010.JPG303 for id 011.JPG303 for id 012.JPG

pics 13,14,15 this is ment to be from 1957 and form the last year of production. I was also informed that any surplus was destroyed in the Iraq war. Can anyone confirm this for me please.......
303 for id 013.JPG303 for id 014.JPG303 for id 015.JPG

Many thanks.....paul.

Hi Paul

1. Not every factory changed over to the new specifications at the same time, so it is perfectly possible to have a 1945 round with the "old" slit crimps.

2. Definitely a reload.

3. These FN ball rounds were made for Belgian service (or possible export) but were never a UK issue round which is why they are not in my book.

4. It is just a bad headstamp. Funnily enough I was looking at an identical RG round this afternoon that needed a high powered glass just to see the headstamp faintly.

5. Yes, that is 1930s Iraqi .303 made on British equipment, I think From Greenwood & batley.

6. Again Iraqi and as you say frokm 1957. What happened to the rest of it I cannot say!

One question. Why go to the expense and trouble of shipping these from the US when they are all fairly common rounds in the UK?

Cheers
TonyE

Thank again Tony, the reason I bought them in the States is they were on a list and I bought a load of .30-06 so it just added to the order. When I first started buying from the UK it seems that most of the rounds had the wrong bullets inserted. Well you live and learn! I do have some on order which I will pick up at Deepdale.... If it was not for other members on here who suggested some sellers, I think it would be hard to find people who will sell 100% genuine inert rounds. Tony do you think that pic 6 is a reload also or is it a FN bullet ......paul.

Last edited:
I think it is a genuine FN bullet. I will check one of mine. Looking at the date of that round, it is possible that it is a contract for the Irish Army as they still had some no.4 rifles in service then (and possibly Brens).

I will be at Deepdale and will have some inert .303s...and they will have the right bullets! I will also have lots of other good stuff.

Cheers
TonyE

Here`s a FN 50 dated cartridge showing the same bullet as yours.....Pete.

Attachments

• FN 50.jpg
    FN 50.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 37