What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 website

peashooter

BOCN Supporter
Right I must be wrong in my head but I am getting together a 1 stop shop .303 website, now this is going to take a while to get together and without a lot of help "information wise" it wont happen. I am getting lots of good advice from a few corners and I will be running a lot of the info, drawings and photo's past an expert or two as well you know not all that is on the web is 100% correct and reliable & I want everything on the website to be correct. I will be crediting all info and any photo's or articles to the right people & I will not allow anything on the website without the permission of the originator/auther so I guess it is now time to beg for help from anyone and everyone who can supply any info, photo's, articles, drawings and anything else usefull to the growing band of collectors. I cant remember who it was on BOCN that said we are just looking after these precious collections for the future but he was correct and once they are gone we can not get them back.

many thanks

Richard.

I sincerely wish you well with your endeavours, but as I have said to you before, you need to be aware of the magnitude of the task!

The amount of data on the .303 that could be put on a website is phenomenal. Consider how much information is contained in Labbett & Mead's .303 book, Barry Temple's series and my own small contribution. Then add the hundreds of drawings that exist (virtually none of which have appeared in print), plus manufacturers records.

After that there are the experimental rounds, some of which are in Labbett, but many which are not, and you begin to see what I mean.

I do agree with you that the .303 is not well served on the net though. The two main sites that purport to show manufacturers and headstamps are both full of errors. My favourite being the Canadian Defence Industries round headstamped "DI Z 1943" that is identified as a product of Dum Dum Arsenal!

I will gladly do what I can to help though.

Regards
TonyE

I hope to get it up and running this year and then expand as time goes on and more verified info comes along.

cheers
Richard.

Big Job!

Hi Peashooter,
I wish you well with this project; not sure you have any idea of the size of the task you are taking on, but good luck anyway.

Are you only intending to cover the Military side of things, or will you be including sporting and target ammunition? British and Commonwealth, or foreign as well?

R.

Hi Peashooter,
I wish you well with this project; not sure you have any idea of the size of the task you are taking on, but good luck anyway.

Are you only intending to cover the Military side of things, or will you be including sporting and target ammunition? British and Commonwealth, or foreign as well?

R.

Oh believe me when I say I have I know the size of the task ahead but I am hoping to start small and them hopefully it will grow to include the whole spectrum of the .303 world. Like I have said I wont be able to do all this on my own but if I get it started then hopefully people will help out were ever they can & I am only 38 so I should have plenty if time to get it up and running. many thanks for support and encouragement so far, I believe it is worth the effort to at least have a go. So like I have said any info I can get will be gratefully accepted.

Richard.