What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30Lb British Incendiary?

corblimy

I found this item on an airfield near me that housed nightfighters. It was pictured among other airfield artifacts, and was identified on another forum as being the 'back end' of a British 30Lb incendiary bomb. Question: is it??

If it is, then it is a mystery how it ended up where it did!
Over to you chaps!

Attachments

• Hunsdon artifacts (1).jpg
    Hunsdon artifacts (1).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Hi Corblimy,

If I believe my docs, you have there a filling plug of a INC 30 lb Mk III.
Look if the dimensions are correct.

Yoda

Attachments

• UK Culot INC 30lb Mk 3.JPG
    UK Culot INC 30lb Mk 3.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 61
What was the name of the airfield ?

Former RAF Hunsdon in Hertfordshire Antoon. A nightfighter airfield apart from a short period with 2nd TAF with 140 wing (the famous Amiens Gaol raid and other low level precision bombing raids) then back to nightfighters again.

A few heavies landed there short of fuel or lost. A notable nocturnal visitor being Lancaster S-Sugar (now in Hendon RAF museum) that landed at Hunsdon after its 100th operation for fuel. I cant see one of those dropping a 30lb incendiary 200 yards short of the secondary runway where it was found...could they?

How how how,
Corblimy, don't think that all stuffs that you can found back near an airfield or on a battlefield are stuffs dated of the battle.
It's all possible that your part of 30 lb was found after the war when troops cleaned the field and trough this part away.
We live this situation regularly in Belgium. I can give you exemples of those situations :
Attre : 470 ton (yes, yes!) german shells WW 1 ingraved in 6 trenches after WW 1 because the service had no time for destroy and..... place forgotten.
Chivres Airbase : big bombs craters filled with all what they had just after war : fuzeboxes, equipement, cars, trucks, old bombs,...

Yoda

I found this item on an airfield near me that housed nightfighters. It was pictured among other airfield artifacts, and was identified on another forum as being the 'back end' of a British 30Lb incendiary bomb. Question: is it??

If it is, then it is a mystery how it ended up where it did!
Over to you chaps!

Dont worry it "is"!

...bloome sorry for my bad english...clearly, x me, it is a base plate of a 30lbs inc MkIII.
Ciao Francesco