What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm ADEN/DEFA Unknowns

EODGUY

I attached four photos of some of the ADEN/DEFA rounds in my collection. Three of these I have no information on and would like to see if anyone else does. The first is the right hand round in photo no. 1. It is South African. The exposed projectile is 8 3/8" long. The forward part is non-magnetic and has a rough dull gray finish. Below that is a thin plain steel band, then an aluminum section. The rotating band is iron. The headstamp is: 30mm R1M2 A 79 SE. Someone has written "Experimental (ND not HE)" on the case. The overall length is 9 3/4".
The second unknown is the 2nd round from the right (Projectile separated from case) in picture 4. When I got this round I was told it was an experimental high velocity loading. The case is 5 1/16" longand unmarked, No primer, but the pocket is large, about 1/2" diameter. No markings on the case. The projectile has no markings and is 3 1/2" long with an aluminum nose plug.
I was told that the last one, the right hand empty case in picture 4, was an experimental ADEN/DEFA case. It is a steel and plastic case with no primer. Personally I think it is an experimental case for the U.S. M700 series 30mm rounds for the Apache helicopter chain gun, but I can find no information on it in either case.

Attachments

• Aden DEFA.jpg
    Aden DEFA.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Aden DEFA 2.jpg
    Aden DEFA 2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 106
  • Aden DEFA 3.jpg
    Aden DEFA 3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Aden DEFA 4.jpg
    Aden DEFA 4.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 106
Hi very nice rounds you have thanks for showing them.
I can't answer your question about the one that is not in its case but have a look at the link below
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/30-x-130-t47771.html
Look similar?? Is the case on yours 130mm long?
I got this from a very reliable source who claimed it was a pre rifled round, if you read what it says on the link that confirms it may be possible, the rifleing not being at an angle etc. But then you appear to have one that's not rifled at all. Interesting.
Dave.

Dave,

Very interesting. My case is 130mm and the rotating band is not pre-engraved. The crimp on the cartridge case would never match up with my projectile either. That crimp is almost at the base of my projectile from what it appears. My projectile also has no crimping groove, except for a very shallow cut immediately behind the rotating band. Other than that they appear identical. Hopefully someone else can shed some light here, my lightbulb is pretty dim right now.

Bob

Nice selection of defa and aden rounds ,unfortunatly i cant help you with id .In photo one the south african round looks like its had an aluminium distance piece added

the 30 x 130 aden maybe its a pre rifled round maybe yours just wasnt finished?

Possibly but the crimping groove is in a different position.
Could be they tried with pre rifled and standard driving bands.
Pure speculation though.
Dave.