What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm APFSDST

I'd be interested to know what this particular round is for. The case its in certainly looks like a Gau 8 case. I have one, see link above, and have seen 5 others for sale over the last couple of years from different sources and from different sides of the pond which are also the same, none of which were crimped into the case.
The bands on them are flush with the sabot.
I'm wondering if they are some sort of CTA projectile that someone got a load of sometime, shoved in the wrong case and sold as a Gau 8 based round, or are they experimental Gau 8's which for the reasons given above would seem a bit pointless but stranger things happen. Perhaps as Hazord says in the link above its for an AFV, if so which one?
Any thoughts welcome.
Dave.

Last edited:
The sabot is not the same as the Nammo or Rheinmetall types, which as far as I'm aware are the only ones to reach service status. The ones listed by GD-OTS were developed by Nammo and use their sabots. So it's experimental, probably by a US company, most likely for the Bushmaster II/MK44 intended to arm the USMC's EFV.

These days the AFV loads mostly have steel cases rather than the aluminium alloy of the GAU-8/A rounds, since they are cheaper, less problematic and the weight saving doesn't matter.

I have no idea if this is relevant to the 30mm APFSDS-T cartridge listed in the auction, but it does show a land based and a helicopter mounted MK 44 30mm Bushmaster II cannon being used to test fire 30mm APFSDS-T rounds and modified APFSDS-T projectile supercavitating rounds.

RAMICS (Rapid Airborne Mine Clearance System) Ammunition Development - NSWC White Oak (ONR ATD 1995-96), Explore Feasibility Of Adapting Existing APFSDS-T Cartridge: http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2003gun/hark.pdf and an overview http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2003gun/jen.pdf.

Attachments

• GAU-8 a.png
    GAU-8 a.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 34
  • gau8b.jpg
    gau8b.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
RAMICS was cancelled a few years ago, but the supercavitating APFSDS ammo survives as the MK258. It is offered by GD-OTS but was developed by Nammo. The sabot is similar to Nammo's usual APFSDS except that it is shown without the plastic nose cap which conceals the projectile.

If you don't mind me asking, how much would you think that round is worth SG500? Cause I would love one of those someday!