What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm Rarden APDS

ken68

Hi put this APDS rarden back together , minus the steel core

cheers ken

Attachments

• 36512_127662120734795_824853265_n.jpg
    36512_127662120734795_824853265_n.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 264017_127641834070157_1142061730_n.jpg
    264017_127641834070157_1142061730_n.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 18
  • 296784_127641844070156_1108538687_n.jpg
    296784_127641844070156_1108538687_n.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 394927_127662187401455_1926522075_n.jpg
    394927_127662187401455_1926522075_n.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 536941_127662310734776_1745941229_n.jpg
    536941_127662310734776_1745941229_n.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job ken.
Is that a blue prac one that's been painted black or a service black one? The profile looks more like the prac version.
Dave.

Hi Thanks Dave it is a prac one but the blue was almost gone even on cleaning the plastic seemed to hold onto a real dark color ? can it be painted blue as i did'nt know if the plastic is blue to start with or painted ,i seen one with this profile on a web site showing different 30mm 20mm cannon and there was a black one the same but unfired drive band .
its the first ive had of this type , what is the service black one , this is the picture i went with, thought it was the same ?

cheers ken
Nice job ken.
Is that a blue prac one that's been painted black or a service black one? The profile looks more like the prac version.
Dave.

Hi Thanks Dave it is a prac one but the blue was almost gone even on cleaning the plastic seemed to hold onto a real dark color ? can it be painted blue as i did'nt know if the plastic is blue to start with or painted ,i seen one with this profile on a web site showing different 30mm 20mm cannon and there was a black one the same but unfired drive band .
its the first ive had of this type , what is the service black one , this is the picture i went with, thought it was the same ?

cheers ken

Ken the service L15 A1 practice APDS rounds have blue sabots but some of the experimental pre adoption rounds had black sabots.
The L15 A1 practice APDS projectile has a tubular body held, prior to leaving the muzzle in a sabot and able to reach a muzzle velocity of about 4290 f/s. The tubular projectile is made of steel and coned at the front with a length of 70mm. The rear of the tube is grooved and holds the tracer composition. The sabot is 30.7mm in diameter and has 4 vertical slots to enable it to break up. Total projectile weight is 165 grams.
Hope this helps.
Dave.

Yes thats great quite a muzzle velocity do you know the penetration is on normal armour steel plate /could this make trouble for a T72 ? BMP armoured personel carrier ?

cheers for the help

ken

Yes thats great quite a muzzle velocity do you know the penetration is on normal armour steel plate /could this make trouble for a T72 ? BMP armoured personel carrier ?

cheers for the help

ken

Ken that's the figure for the prac apds so the armour penetration is going to be blow all. I don't know the info for the L14 service tungsten cored APDS.
Dave.

This may be of some use.
We are up to the L15A5 with the reduced range DS now
And by the way Ken,hats off to you mate for getting one of these back together,I have tried it so many times and they have all ended up the top of the garden,well they are discarding sabots!

Cheers
Tony

61347.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg

Last edited:
i am sure ive herd you speak of the reduced range DS Tony , thanks for this one mate it didnt want to play ball but i kept at it . :tinysmile_grin_t: thats the pusher assembly ive got in the picture , when i cleaned up the sabots they went really dark for some reason (hence the paint job) , can i clean your garden up free of charge of course lol :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

cheers ken
This may be of some use.
We are up to the L15A5 with the reduced range DS now
And by the way Ken,hats off to you mate for getting one of these back together,I have tried it so many times and they have all ended up the top of the garden,well they are discarding sabots!

Cheers
Tony

View attachment 62818

Yep that's definitely the practice pusher,if I recall correctly the black sabot service rounds have a courser thread.

@ Charlie I think the red DSRR may just be artistic licence by who ever laid on the floor, with their tongue out, and coloured it in:bigsmile:

Tony

nice re build tried making one up myself out of range finds but gave it up as a bad job

Thanks i kinda built it from inside out , trimmed uneven edges with a hobby knife and lined up the first 2 stuck from inside with they little double side sticky pads , done the other 2 then joined the 4 so they were all in a line added the last sticky pad then brought them round together , moved and queezed them into place . When all looked aligned poped in car filler with my finger smooth out and let them set . Hope this made sense !!

Cheers ken

That is the correct pusher, the APDS ones have a serated thread that cuts its own thread in the sabot with ultrasound.

Tony, i might be wrong, but i am sure the experimental sabots were made out of red or white polymer. All the DSRR i have are blue throughout.

Nice restoration anyway. You need to paint it blue as below. Theres also a breakdown i did a while back here although some photos are missing now?!

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/3483-30mm-Rarden-DSRR-L15A1?highlight=DSRR

P2070001.jpgP2070002.JPG

Thanks for sharing your pictures thats the next job to re-blue the sabots . I will post it back on once this has been done

Cheers ken

Hi Charlie,
thanks for the thread info,that would explain the very course 'threads' found on used service(black) sabots and sorry about the colouring in remark,it was a joke.
Yes I have noticed some of your photos have gone missing,I used to love looking at your thread and you must have spent a fair bit of time putting it together to share with us.

All the best
Tony

Thanks Tony, it's nice to know it's appreciated. My first born is due in 6 weeks so will have some time on my hands at home to do some more.
Ken, do you have or can get hold of a pantone colour chart? If so, i'll let you know the correct blue.
C.

Thanks Charlie i dont know the colors so it would be great if you could , i also have 3 rarden TP projectiles in needs of paint , these ones are direct copies and made of Resin !! I know nothing beats the real thing , but dont seem to be many around ? I have wasted 's on paint and always got the wrong color match , well i am slightly color blind :tinysmile_twink_t2:
Where will i get the paint from ? The worst thing about living up here is no shows or fairs for inert ANYTHING , got to rely on the Net and help from the helpful BOCN members the nearist place that sells a 30 mm rarden shell with TP is 30 miles away and they want 30 a pop ?

Thanks again

always got the wrong color match , well i am slightly color blind :tinysmile_twink_t2:
Where will i get the paint from ?

Hi Ken
Hi Ken The colour for your TP is Deep Saxe Blue BS113 there use to be a company in Livingston called Carlec that could mix the paint & put in to an aerosol can for you.
I may also have a Rarden TP projectile spare if you need it.
The Turquoise Blue is BS102 for some of the Aden TP
Harry

Nice one Harry ,,its a small world i worked for carlac driving for a bit last year , i know the new manager Sandy sure he pop something together for me , i never thought of calling him ? the Rarden TP sounds great i missed one on Ebay it was removed , breached the rules !!!! good old ebay!!!
You can PM me on the Rarden TP .

thanks again ken