What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm Rarden APDSCS-T

imaokie2000

Just in from the UK. It's been a year long ordeal to get these state side. Everything can fall apart now, I have my projectiles! There were 500 produced and only 19 survived. All the Penetrator's are alike, the sabots are different on each. I have these two, a friend in Wisconsin has one, so there's 16 more out there some where.

Thanks to the two guys that secured and shipped these to me!

image.jpgIMG_3807.jpg

Super Sweet Score! Those are really unusual. Now you need to find their correct case and primer and section one :)

Jason

Way too rare to cut!

5 Here (bottom Left)

photo 1.JPG

Over here we call them APFSDS

C.

Last edited:
Thanks Jason, I have one original case on it's way. I am going to section a common Rarden case for one of them, but not the projectile. I just can't bring myself to do it......

Hey Charlie, is each of your projectiles different or do you have some that are identical?

Thanks Jason, I have one original case on it's way. I am going to section a common Rarden case for one of them, but not the projectile. I just can't bring myself to do it......

Hey Charlie, is each of your projectiles different or do you have some that are identical?

Nice score.
All 19 or the sabot sets are different, the penetrators are the same on these projectiles although a whole series of different tungsten penetrators exist. I was fortunate to view all of them before they hit the open market, unfortunately I couldn't afford them all otherwise they'd all have moved to Wales. The fins also vary slightly.
I believe Bill Woodin has one of these projectiles, one was sold in the Pete De Coux auction a couple of years back, another is with a good friend in the States so there appear to be at least 5 or 6 of them on your side of the pond. I still have one too.
Dave.

Hi Dave, it would be interesting to know where all these two projectiles have traveled. I do know both went from The UK to Germany, back to The UK then to Belgium and on to the USA. I'm glad they didn't weigh a lot!

I figured Bill had one and I know another Collector in the US that has one. I'm meeting him at SLICS in a couple of days. I asked him to bring his so we could compare them.

I know what you mean about affording them. Although they were not the most expensive purchase I've made, they were expensive. I imagine the whole group would have set you back..................This is good information. I thought all the penetrators and cones were alike, but sabots were different. Does any pics of the group exist?

I don't have a photo of the 19.
Here's a better photo of the 3 that are shown on the information sheet that you have.
Dave.

SEPTEMBER 05 058.jpg

I know the abriviation APFSDS-T (Armour Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot-Tracer), but what does the abriviation APDSCS-T stand for?
Thanks in advance,
regards, DJH

DJ, "APDSCS-T = Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot CONE Stabilized Tracer :)

Jason

Cone stabilizers are typically used as a method of range reduction. :tinysmile_classes_t

Jason

Thank you Charlie. I'd like to have more of them since they are all different, but it's a little cost prohibitive. lol

Along with my 26mm Colt Display, I was also able to get my Experimental 30x170mm Rarden APDSCS-T Display completed. I only have 2 rounds and I feel fortunate to have those. I plan to machine a cone stabilizer for the extra penetrator one of these days. If I wait long enough, I may find one somewhere though.

I want to thank orpheus72, SG500 and ernie74 for helping me find, secure and get these from the UK to the US. It was a group effort that spanned two years. These two rounds racked up lot of miles and postage!

30x170mm Rareden APDSCS-T Display.jpg

Great display!
I like the way you'd done the penetrator on wire in front of the rounds.
Dave.

Of the 19 that survived, one had a standard fin, 17 had drum fins and one had a hybrid type as shown.

Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_8971.jpg
    IMG_8971.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8975.jpg
    IMG_8975.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 21