What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm Rarden?

archmoco

Hi,

Can anyone tell me any more about this? i know it's 30mm armoured fighting vechicle (AFV) RG = Radway Green, 00 is this the year 2000? 002 = lot 2?

The projectile I have no idea about type or what the code is 136 153 300

Attachments

• 30mm 1.jpg
    30mm 1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 30mm 2.jpg
    30mm 2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 30mm 3.jpg
    30mm 3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 30mm 4.jpg
    30mm 4.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 57
Yes, it's a Rarden case. The 00 is most likely the last two figures of the year. I tried but failed to post photos of my Rarden cases. The unpainted shell may be a practice version with an aluminium plug. Someone who is more knowledgeable about the shell should be able to tell you more.

Last edited:
Hi Archmoco

Yup, Rarden. 00 is the year 2000 and 002 is the batch no. The projectile is an unfinished practice or HE. There is nothing to tell them apart. By unfinished i mean it should have been filled with bicarbonate of soda, a felt wad and then painted. At some time in the past there must have been a large batch of incomplete projectiles released as there are quite a few of these about. ( I have a suspicion they are all proof rounds but cannot back that up 100% as yet). I cant tell from the photos if the fuze is a dummy or real. If its solid ally it's a dummy one, if its hollow with thread inside its an inerted L86 fuze. From what I can see in the photo your case has not been fired in a Rarden Cannon. If it has it should have a clear half moon mark on the base. Don't think theres alot more I can say. Any questions, please ask.

Charlie

Hi Archmoco

Yup, Rarden. 00 is the year 2000 and 002 is the batch no. The projectile is an unfinished practice or HE. There is nothing to tell them apart. By unfinished i mean it should have been filled with bicarbonate of soda, a felt wad and then painted. At some time in the past there must have been a large batch of incomplete projectiles released as there are quite a few of these about. ( I have a suspicion they are all proof rounds but cannot back that up 100% as yet). I cant tell from the photos if the fuze is a dummy or real. If its solid ally it's a dummy one, if its hollow with thread inside its an inerted L86 fuze. From what I can see in the photo your case has not been fired in a Rarden Cannon. If it has it should have a clear half moon mark on the base. Don't think theres alot more I can say. Any questions, please ask.

Charlie

Thanks guys, the fuse is solid aluminium, ive cleaned the brass as it was black, but hopefully it will dull down somewhat.

Thanks