What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm Short ADEN?

Darren

I picked these up today and after searching the forum i am pretty sure that thy are short ADEN cases. They measure 30mm x 86mm, no headstamp but are stamped around the rim RA2 / 2957

Any other info on these i.e what the stamps mean would be great, also will be looking to purchase a couple of correct projectiles if anyone has spare.

Thanks,
Darren

Attachments

• 003 (1640 x 2009).jpg
    003 (1640 x 2009).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 004 (1941 x 2096).jpg
    004 (1941 x 2096).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 005 (3149 x 1877).jpg
    005 (3149 x 1877).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 28
Short ADEN cases

Yes Darren they are ADEN short cases from the early developement days!

I am not familiar with the RA2/2957 markings but I would expect them to be the equivalent of the DDL/DDA number system for trials projects.

Nice find Darren and thanks for showing us.

Yes Darren they are ADEN short cases from the early developement days!

I am not familiar with the RA2/2957 markings but I would expect them to be the equivalent of the DDL/DDA number system for trials projects.

Nice find Darren and thanks for showing us.

Thanks for the info Chris and confirming that they are indeed ADEN cases. Im assuming that finding projectiles is going to take a fair bit of hunting as i understand they are a little different to standard ADEN projectiles?

Darren

Thanks for the info Chris and confirming that they are indeed ADEN cases. Im assuming that finding projectiles is going to take a fair bit of hunting as i understand they are a little different to standard ADEN projectiles?

Darren
Yes, the overall length of all of the Aden/DEFA 30mm rounds is the same at 199mm, so a shorter case means a longer projectile. See the pic below:
MCRel4.jpg

Long projectiles

The projectiles are long enough that when put into the case they are equal in length to a modern ADEN so you can imagine the projectiles are substantially longer that the modern day items.

This is one of the items I never managed to get hold of in all my years and once I sold the collection I found them all over the place-ironic I guess!

Some here will have some of the older projectiles SG500 Perhaps ?

Yes, the overall length of all of the Aden/DEFA 30mm rounds is the same at 199mm, so a shorter case means a longer projectile. See the pic below:

Thanks for the info Tony and the great picture with measurements. Now i know exactlly what i need to look out for.

Darren