What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30x167mm

orcutteod

Enclosed are pictures of an Philco Ford experimental 30x167mm and a 30x173mm. The story I heard was that the 30x167mm loss out to the 30x173mm which is the standard round for the GAU8 today. I'm thinking the 30x167mm shouln't be that common of a shell to find. Interesting the three driving bands on the projectile.

Attachments

• IMG_4051.JPG
    IMG_4051.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4049.JPG
    IMG_4049.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 63
Philco-Ford designed their own GAU-8/A gun to go with their own ammo. It had six barrels rather than the seven of the successful General Electric GAU-8/A. The P-F gun was a failure, which is why GE's 30x173 ammo is used.

Incidentally, GE copied the 30x173 ammo from the Oerlikon KCA round used in their single barrel revolver cannon, with three major changes: the priming is percussion rather than electric, the case material is light alloy rather than steel, and the driving band is plastic rather than soft iron.

The Oerlikon KCA was the fall-back gun for the A-10 attack plane, in case the GAU-8/A programme failed. It was given the designation GAU-9 and two guns would have been used.

Thanks for the good information on Philco-Ford. Back in the early/mid seventies I was working out at Edwards AFB CA. And I had a roomate who also worked out at Edwards on the A10. I remember him bringing home 30mm ammo for the GAU8. But I never took the time to inspect the cannon rounds.