What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

32 pdr SBBL - Smoth Bore Breech Loading

Sam Burgess

I visited Crownhill Fort in Cornwall (near Plymouth, UK) last summer>
In a number of the batteries guarding the moats/ditches there where a number of old 32 pdr muzzle loading guns
which had been converted for land use by cutting of the cascable and substituting a breech mechanism which
allows the gun to be breech loaded with a shell/cartridge case loaded with shrapnel or large shot and fired into
the moat area like like a giant shotgun. The rate of fire was not intended to be very high.
All I have discovered is that the rounds where supplied in cases and made of brass.
As Napolean never invaded they really never saw active service.
However the I did find a reference that the the 32 pdr SBBL was used as a saluting gun before WW2
Also a lead that a number were recently re-installed in Malta for use a saluting guns.

What did these shell cases look like?
Where they interchangeable with any other weapon (perhaps as a cut down)?
What was the loading?

Thanks
Sam

You are correct.
My apologies for my error - and I used to live in Liskeard !! before I moved out here to Sydney NSW
Crownhill Fort is in Devon, just North of Plymouth (and if you will forgive me laboring the point, it is close to the Devon/Cornwall border).
Any other info ??