What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

34x 239 Flab Kan 38

SG500

Premium Member
Just a few photos of the Swiss 34mm anti aircraft round.
This was in service until 1968.
All inert, hole drilled, primer made safe etc.
If anyone has any further information or photographs of other loadings I'd be interested in seeing them.
Thanks.
Dave.

Attachments

• 31 Oct 09 031.jpg
    31 Oct 09 031.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 31 Oct 09 032.jpg
    31 Oct 09 032.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 31 Oct 09 033.jpg
    31 Oct 09 033.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 31 Oct 09 034.jpg
    31 Oct 09 034.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 104
Apologies for only just spotting this one.

The 34mm round was developed for an automatic AA gun introduced in Swiss service in 1938, which stayed in service until replaced by the current 35mm Oerlikon systems in the 1960s. It was unusual in featuring a water-cooled barrel.

I have three rounds in my collection, two different AP (one like yours, one capped) and an HE. The HE is shown on the right of the pic below, from my Ammo Photo Gallery.

The projectiles weighed 720g and were fired at 900-990 m/s (the AP being faster). The gun fired at 250-270 rpm and was belt-fed.

WW2navalAA1.jpg

Thanks Tony, thanks for the information - any chance of seeing a photo of your other 2 rounds please?
Ta,
Dave.

The plain AP is shown below. I don't have a photo of the capped AP at the moment but it has a nose cap to give an overall profile similar to the HE, and the whole projectile is painted the same dull green.

I aim to reshoot a lot of the pics in my Ammo Photo Gallery when I get the time - it takes a while to set things up properly.

34mm Swiss rounds

Yust saw this treat and I have a bit more information about it.
The projectiles were found in Holland just the other day.

Chris

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 34 mm Stahlpatrone.jpg
    34 mm Stahlpatrone.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Panzer patrone.jpg
    Panzer patrone.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 90
There is also dummies made of brass and aluminum and one (late variant) with a case and inert projectile.
Furter there is a plastic break up and a TP-T variant in shape pf the HE-T (all red projectile).

Last edited:
I picked up two of the AP rounds from one of Our Swiss members. He was kind enough to send a pdf of the the gun from a Swiss publication. VERY DETAILED.

PM me and I can a word or pdf file. The publication is in German.

As an aside can we post word or pdf documents in Replies?

I've got a projectile in my posession from which I think it's a swiss 34mm. I bought it in an antique/flea-store in Switzerland.
At first I thought it coud be an oerlikon KBB round. But nowhere I found a picture to match this idea.
Until I tried some different dimensions and found this topic.

It looks almost exact the same as the projectile found by "Chris". (Mine's fuse is a bit larger).
On the fuse there aren't any markings left to see. But on the body above the copper drive-band there are 2 +'s (like this: ++ )
and on the bottom a marking like seen on the 4th picture in the first post by "SG500".

Below a picture. (click on it to see a larger version :tinysmile_twink_t2: )

DSC_0010.jpg
Or here you find a link: ( http://postimg.org/image/nycon0979/ )

So is it the Swiss 34mm? And if so, which type?

Thanks in advance ^_^

It looks like it (well, if it measures 34mm at the bourrelet you can't go far wrong, there aren't any others that size!). It couldn't be the KBB as that's a 25mm round - I think you meant (35mm) KD series.

A colour photo of the range of different 34mm rounds was included in the ECRA Bulletin of a few months ago (issue No. 580). Your projectile is the standard shape used for both practice and HE types.

Halo all,
18 - Stahlgranate
19 - Uebungsgranate
20 - Fiktivgeschoss
21 - Manipulierpatrone
22 - Zerteilung der Stahlgranate

Cheers, Bob

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 56
I have several fired TP rounds that came from an old german AA site in Holland.
Fairly sure I have posted pics here before now?
All except one had solid dummy fuzes steel or brass with an inert filler to bring them up to the 720 grammes. The odd one had an inert 1941 dated complete percussion fuze - unfortunately all a bit messed up from impact.
Anyone wants one I am selling for 15 plus post at about 5 for 2nd recorded. or willing to swap for a case?

your guess as good as mine Tony!
If I can find the fuze I am sure it had a waffenamt stamp on it as well.
Projs marked in German & French - so bears out Swiss origin.
Did the Germans manage to get some before start of conflict?
Not dates I can make out on the others - only from the fuze & local records/statements at the time these were recovered.

Thanks for the information so far. Is it possible to send me a copy of that bulletin 580? Because I can't seem to find it anywhere...