What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35mm Oerlikon

VettelS

I'm new to ordnance, and recently bought a 35mm Oerlikon shell.

I've read through this thread an my shell is exactly the same (same stamps on base and primer also).

Does this mean that my shell is also a replica? The little sticker that came with my shell reads "Oerlikon 35mm shell fired in captured anti-aircraft guns from Falklands War (1982)".

I also read this thread. The stamp on the base of the case is the same as mine, but the primer stamp is different.

VettelS,

The casing in that first thread is a genuine one, the PROJECTILE on that shell was a replica !
So i think your casing might be a good one (but determining it on a picture would be easier)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Attached are photos of the shell.

Also, having read that other thread, I know that the "84" on the base refers to the year in which it was made. Given that the Falklands War was in 1982, this must mean that the shell does not actually originate from the Falklands (contrary to what I was lead to believe), right?

Secondly I've just noticed some very small writing etched onto the side of the case. I'm guessing this has nothing to do with the history of the shell- more likely clumsy stock-keeping by the shop I bought it from. Correct me if I'm wrong, and/or if you know what this means.

And thirdly, I've been looking around on other threads and have gleaned that the blue paint on the projectile means that it is HE. Am I correct?

S1032704.jpgS1032705.jpgS1032708.JPG

Last edited:
The colour blue represents a practice round for training not HE. The projectile is a replica in a genuine case.

Darren

The colour blue represents a practice round for training not HE. The projectile is a replica in a genuine case.

Thanks for your reply Darren, but I wonder if you could clarify this for me (I'm new to this). So does this mean that the case would once have housed a live projectile? And then then the live projectile was fired, but the case was saved for a practice projectile?

VettelS,

Yes, your case was fired, as you can see the marks around the neck from the fluted chamber. Your first letter mentions that it was fired in guns captured in the Falkans. So, someone captured the guns during the war, then got some ammo and fired the guns after the war. The guns were captured, not the ammo. As far as collecting goes, cartridge cases are extremely hard to reproduce, so people save them after their original projectiles are fired. The they put a new or replica substitute projectile in the case and sell it as a complete round. It is fairly easy to reproduce a projectile of a smaller caliber size like 35mm.

Yes your case could have contained an explosive projectile. There are at least a dozen or more different types of projectiles that could have been origianlly issued in that case. A number of those would be explosive filled.

Several Oerlikon twin-barrel 35mm mountings were captured in the Falklands and were put into British service with the RAF Regiment for airfield defence. Some ammo was made for them in the UK - this appears to be one of the cases. They were withdrawn from service in the early 1990s and I understand mostly ended up in museums or as gate guards.

Watch it in action: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=eb4_1296530892

Thanks for all your replies, but inevitably I have another question. Would it be possible to buy an original (but inert) projectile? And if so, how easy (or difficult) are they to come by?

Thanks for all your replies, but inevitably I have another question. Would it be possible to buy an original (but inert) projectile? And if so, how easy (or difficult) are they to come by?

Yes you will be able to buy an original projectile, a genuine practice projectile (blue) will be pretty easy to find, HE not so easy to find. I do not have a spare projectile but someone on the forum may be able to help you out. There is a wanted section on the forum perhaps put a post there.

Darren